Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask the IT Network Engineer

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
freshly re-install Vista.

There's your problem right there :rofl2:. Should Upgrade to Windows 7 and see if it makes any difference.

On a side note, I'm considering upgrading to Windows 8 Developer preview to see how well it runs. Was rather impressed with performance when I was shown a Demo at a Computer shop.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
There's your problem right there :rofl2:. Should Upgrade to Windows 7 and see if it makes any difference.

On a side note, I'm considering upgrading to Windows 8 Developer preview to see how well it runs. Was rather impressed with performance when I was shown a Demo at a Computer shop.

haha, it's all I good. I've got a burnt-like copy of XP and it was just as slow when I reformated with XP..
I wanted to upgrade to Win7 but dont know if it'll be worth it..

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Got a problem. Owned this computer for 2 years now.. Used to run great,was running it with no fan for a bit and killed the motherboard. Had that replaced with a new graphics card + PSU.
I often reformat my computer and freshly re-install Vista. I recently done this and a couple months on Ive barelly downloaded anything.. and it's running really slow.
There's 261GB free of 347GB.
I normally have 2 monitors on.. normally disabling one I don't use. Also tried using 2 HDD's was running okay than slowed down so I removed that again..
Tried Disk cleanup, Defrag, ccleaner, and virus scanned it with 2 different programs with no luck
So what can I do? or am I due for a upgrade?

Check out the info i gave to Jonnoo, open up task manager and perfmon and see what they are saying about the speed of the system.

A few things to note with Windows Vista:
It was a dog when it first came out, but they fixed A LOT of issues with service pack 1 and service pack 2. and by a lot i mean an absolute ###k load!

To download Service pack 1:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

To download service pack 2:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)

These are big downloads, so if you are re-installing windows a lot, you should burn a copy of the file to CD or USB drive to save your bandwidth later.

What antivirus are you running?

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Check the temp via the tray icon quite often. Generally hovers between 30 and 32 degress even when she starts to play up a bit.

That is a fairly normal temp range. I wouldn't worry about checking the thermal paste. once you "break the seal" so to speak you are supposed to re-apply the paste from scratch otherwise the optimal thermal conduction won't be reached.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I was stuck in my old xp ways for years and was very skeptical about win 7 but it is like night and day definately do it.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Check out the info i gave to Jonnoo, open up task manager and perfmon and see what they are saying about the speed of the system.

A few things to note with Windows Vista:
It was a dog when it first came out, but they fixed A LOT of issues with service pack 1 and service pack 2. and by a lot i mean an absolute ###k load!

To download Service pack 1:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Five Language Standalone (KB936330)

To download service pack 2:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465)

These are big downloads, so if you are re-installing windows a lot, you should burn a copy of the file to CD or USB drive to save your bandwidth later.

What antivirus are you running?

Hmm, the CPU averages 10%..
Mmm, well Ive had no real dramas with Vista tbh.. Just seems to slow down as the age goes along...
I look at my system properties and it said I have Service pack 2. I recently did heaps of updates.. 200 if I recall correctly.. and didn't help a bit.
Mmm.

I don't use one.. find it just slows it down even more..

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Mmm, well Ive had no real dramas with Vista tbh.. Just seems to slow down as the age goes along...
I look at my system properties and it said I have Service pack 2. I recently did heaps of updates.. 200 if I recall correctly.. and didn't help a bit.
Mmm.

That is good you have the latest updates, they can fix a lot of problems and they make your system more secure.

Are you able to list down you hardware specs? CPU type, motherboard, graphics card. I will see what speeds they are capable of and see if there are any bottle necks.

AV shouldnt cause your system to slow down that much, but just to be safe i would recommend running an online scan just to make sure there isn't anything that has made it onto your pc somehow. USB drives are a big spreader of an autorun virus these days, and there are even scripts that will run via ads on safe websites that can infect your pc.

go to Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner and run their scanner when you get time.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Mmm.

How much RAM are you running buddy?

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
That is good you have the latest updates, they can fix a lot of problems and they make your system more secure.

Are you able to list down you hardware specs? CPU type, motherboard, graphics card. I will see what speeds they are capable of and see if there are any bottle necks.

AV shouldnt cause your system to slow down that much, but just to be safe i would recommend running an online scan just to make sure there isn't anything that has made it onto your pc somehow. USB drives are a big spreader of an autorun virus these days, and there are even scripts that will run via ads on safe websites that can infect your pc.

go to Free ESET Online Antivirus Scanner and run their scanner when you get time.

Ah just a tad.

CPU.. I have a Intel 2.2ghz Duo Core, Motherboard is Gigabyte G31M-ES2L, Graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Ive done 2 online scans. with no infections..

Scanned it with no Infections.

How much RAM are you running buddy?

Only 2GB

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Vista needs at least 1gig to run, so it should be able to cruise along with 2gig. Maybe knocking it up to 3 or 4 might be an idea. Even then Vista is still a massive usage hog, where I have found Windows 7 not to be. I also found the Sidebar to be a usage hog and to slow things up in Vista.