Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto antenna works with window switch

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As the title suggests my new (after market working well auto antenna) goes up and down a little with the passenger front window switch when the radio (original radio CD) is turned off.
I'm thinking it is simply getting a signal from the computer which is located in the passenger kick panel and, being after market stands to reason.
What's your thoughts brains trust ?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
It’s possible that it might be an earthing issue with the window. If the current can’t find the correct path to earth it will try to find any other path to earth it can use, which might be through the aerial motor.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
It’s possible that it might be an earthing issue with the window. If the current can’t find the correct path to earth it will try to find any other path to earth it can use, which might be through the aerial motor.

Spot on,
I thought of the exact same thing,
And/or it could also be a faulty/damaged wire in the door transfer boot,

Also, there is a ground/earth on the antenna unit that could be lose, or the securing bolt on the inner guard that holds the antenna in place,
Possibly the latter being your location, and the floods we have all had.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
OK thanks forthe replies.
Gives me sumting to look at.
The window earth could be a problem
I was very particular with the earth on the antenna including sanded up the bracket it screwed to,
and also the main bolt holding the antenna was tight so will have a look at the earthing on the window.
And the car has not been under or through water.

mrbissi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack, VZ Coomodore Wagon, WK Statesman
OK thanks forthe replies.
Gives me sumting to look at.
The window earth could be a problem
I was very particular with the earth on the antenna including sanded up the bracket it screwed to,
and also the main bolt holding the antenna was tight so will have a look at the earthing on the window.
And the car has not been under or through water.
Hey mate,

Did you work out the issue with the antenna and the window switch. My radio was off and i was closing the window and noticed the antenna making noise.

Also checked the antenna power source and one wire has the battery voltage and the other only when the radio is on. but the voltage wasn't the same it was 1v less that the other wire.

cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey mate,

Did you work out the issue with the antenna and the window switch. My radio was off and i was closing the window and noticed the antenna making noise.

Also checked the antenna power source and one wire has the battery voltage and the other only when the radio is on. but the voltage wasn't the same it was 1v less that the other wire.

cheers
No, never went any further after someone else on here asked about the same problem, antenna going up with the windows.
After that particular question I just assumed it is an after market antenna problem, so until it brakes I will leave it alone.