Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto choke?

spacattack

THE ENFORCER!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom VN
after i start it up in the mornin it goes up to about 1500rpm for like a second then drops to about 600rpm then 900rpm then 600rpm and so on could this be the auto choke or not? it does it regardless weather its been drive all day or not and it drops in revs ( almost stalls ) when put into reverse or drive and ideas? cause its got me stuffed ( and yes theres plenty of NEW tranny oil in there)

vinnywelsh

Bored Technician
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 3.8L Berlina
My vn used to do that, all i did was gave the accelerator a small jab just to kick the rev's up. i find it will only do this in my car when it is really cold and starting for the first time, or when its extreemly hot and hasnt been started in a while.

i have no idea if the auto 6's have any form of choke?

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
It's EFI!

Chokes don't exist on these things, and haven't ever since EFI came in. It's all controlled by the magic of computers...
It sounds pretty likely that your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve is playing up - it's on the back of the throttle body and controls engine idle via input from the computer.
Beacuse of this, idle speed is non-adjustable in these engines, the computer does it automatically - if everything is in good order of course.
The idle should not change much if the A/C comes on, or if your put it into or out of gear, if the IAC system is working properly. If it does change RPM (like stalling when changing into reverse) then there is a problem with it.
Check out some other parts of this site, there's plenty of info on how to check and clean the throttle body and IAC.