Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bad tow package installation

Discussion in 'General' started by offence74, Mar 4, 2017.

1. offence74

offence74 New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV
    Hello, first time poster, just had the Holden 1600/2100 towing package fitted to my VFII SSV Wagon at a dealership. I went there expecting a proper job (not to say aftermarket providers don't). I have one, maybe two issues.

My primary concern is that the cut out of the rear bumper and diffuser is horrible, in you opinions is it fixable, or unreasonable to demand that it be replaced? Secondly, is it just me or does the bar stick out too far? There was one other wagon in the service yard that had same set up as mine (I did not pay attention to the cut out as was in a rush). As I was on my work time, the pickup was rather hurried. I have contacted the dealership before closing and am returning on Monday morning. Opinions and advice needed, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Having installed towbars for 15 plus years it looks ok to me. It may stick out that far because they make one towbar to suit all the models, eg a Redline bumper sits back further. Not economical to make 4 different length receivers.

offence74 likes this.
  3. Aussie XB12SS

Aussie XB12SS Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
    IMG_2298.JPG IMG_2299.JPG They have forgotten to put the cut out cover on.
    Did the same thing with mine until I went back in and said it looks like shit.
    Mine is genuine not Hayman & Reece.

offence74 likes this.
  4. offence74

offence74 New Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV
    Thanks for the replies, so really all that is needed is a cutout cover and I'll just have to live with the fact it sticks out.

Thank you again for taking the time.

5. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8 series 3 & Cross 6 Crewman
    Don't know what the regulations are in Vic, but NSW you can't have a tongue or towbar that sticks out from the bumper. That looks crap. And illegal ?
    Good reversing aid, but.

6. mantaray56

mantaray56 Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 Z
    Take it back looks like a ten year old cut it out. They would be hoping you just put up with it. Does stick out a bit,as they said good reversing aid.

offence74 likes this.
  7. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    What a fucking hack job.

Get it replaced and done properly!

8. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
    check the ADR's first , then comment....

the_boozer likes this.
  9. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    you can ask to have the bumper bar replaced , they will counter offer with fitting the plastic trim to cover up there dodge arse cutting job .
    one bar fits all sedan and wagon exec to ss .
    add a set of tow nuts and it will look like a dick and balls hanging out the back of your car ...

good luck with the stealership dont like their first answer or offer take it up with holden customer service

10. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    From the NSW RMS site ..... http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/road-rules/towing.html
    Tow bar
    A properly designed and fitted towbar is essential for towing. The rated capacity of the towbar and coupling should not be exceeded.
    The towbar should be clearly and permanently marked with its:
    • maximum rated capacity
    • Make and model of the vehicle it is intended for or the manufacturer’s part number
    • Manufacturer’s name or trade mark.
    This is compulsory for vehicles built after 1 January 1992. The exception is where the towbar is a permanent part of the vehicle.
    Towbars must not protrude dangerously when there is no trailer connected.

So can we now debate what is 'protrude dangerously' ?

11. strgas

strgas GRA = REAL HP

Members Ride:
    The Australian Design Rule 42.9.1 states:

"No vehicle shall be equipped with any object or fitting, not technically essential which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person."

it is common sense that when you are not towing that the hitch or lug be removed to reduce the risk of harm .
    Any towbar has been designed and tested and pass for ADR compliance .
    The words Dangerously Protrude is a wide term and can be applied in many ways from bull bars to fishing rod holders even towing mirrors to bonnett scoops how the term is applied and by who is the next problem .
    One copper having a bad day could target drivers for such Protrustion from vehicles if he feels they are unsafe or dangerous to other road users or a person issuing a Roadworthy or rego inspection .

do you think Holden would stock or have manufactued such a product that didnt comply with ADR's

http://www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/Page.asp?PageID=558

the_boozer likes this.
  12. the_boozer

the_boozer no more VK

Members Ride:
    Prado
    You've nailed it mate as Ive been defected for a 150mm of air cleaner hanging out of the bonnet I've often wondered why the fishing rod holders on my bullbar are all right maybe mr ARB pays better bribes would you rather get hit by a Hz holden with 150mm of air cleaner or a land cruiser with a bullbar but the Hz was illegal. It seams money plays a bit part in what is ok and what isn't. Like how an old holden bloke needs all the thermal vacuum switches and the rest of the emission control crap but its cool for a diesel bloke to by pass or restrict his emission controls I've never worked that one out but see it happen often.

13. figjam

figjam Active Member

Members Ride:
    I agree that it is a matter of interpretation without any technical details.
    I have met that “one copper” at a RBT stop a few years ago.
    He was either wishing he was somewhere else, had the poos with the world, or was very conscientious. After doing the RBT, he walked around my very standard vehicle, and drew my attention to the towbar tongue plate that protruded about 100mm out from the rear bumper. We got into a spirited discussion about it for about 5 minutes, then he dismissed me with a ‘warning’ but no fine.
    I decided that he was nitpicking, or just giving me a hard time for his personal enjoyment, but it demonstrated that something minor like that could land you with a problem.

offence74 likes this.
  14. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Prado
    "Dangerously protrude", people should be walking that close to your car anyway.

On a side note, I leave the tongue in on my Prado, I reverse park too but when parking against a walkway, I never back up all the way so the only way you can walk into the tongue is if you are not on the walkway.

15. Brettly-2008

Brettly-2008 Member

Members Ride:
    WM Statesman
    I installed a brand new tow bar kit on my WM just 10 days ago and while my cut out is neater, I still had to use a thin cutting disc on a grinder for the hole in the bumper. It's the only way around it and will never look perfect -I guess that's why they make the extra trim cover bit!

VS_Pete likes this.