Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bali 9 - thoughts?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Final appeal for Bali 9 leaders has been quashed, so I figure its all over now (baby blue...)

My thoughts....

- State-sanctioned capital punishment is bad and a violation of fundamental human rights
- However, these folks knew full well that the punishment for what they were doing was death, yet they went ahead with it. They played with fire, they got burnt.
- It irritates me that these guys have been made into folk heros on social media.
- Its great these two fellows have shown excellent signs of rehabilitation....
- But finding 'God' in a prison/death row environment is a bit cliched
- Would such rigorous self-improvement occurred had they not been caught, convicted and sentenced to death
- It shits me that people can seek to do horrible things in their life but, turn to Jeebus and POOF all is forgiven (well, in their eyes at least, as an atheist I have different views on that).

People's thoughts?

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Agree with everything.

Basically they knew what could happen and they did it anyway, they deserve the consequences even if it doesn't fit into how we perceive it should be carried out.

They have been getting way too much airplay, they should just be remembered as what not to do and let their sentence play out without any interfering from our government or anyone else.
It's their rules, you go there, you abide by them or face the consequences.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Pretty much what you said. They knew full well what the penalties were should they be caught, this was not a mistake as the media keeps saying, it was a deliberate and repeated act to make money.

Finding God and repenting then expecting the slate to be wiped clean is the norm for convicts. I doubt had they been caught they would have reformed, they only reformed because they got caught and I imagine their Solicitors recommended this to support their case to get out of the death penalty.

I am fed up of reading reports that say all Australians are horrified and don't want them killed. The cross section I have bar one of my facebook friends all have my viewpoints. I can't believe the hype and groundswell of do-gooders and god botherers that have held rallies and concerts again stating "we" as a nation don't want them killed as that is rubbish. Lots couldn't careless as like me they agree if you get caught, you could be shot.

I certainly won't boycott Bali either, it's never been high on my want to visit list however in total defiance of all those again claiming "all" Australians are boycotting Bali, I think I will visit soon.

Sounds harsh, but the sooner they shoot these two, the quicker they are out of the spotlight.

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
+1 To pretty much everything said above, especially this bit, it can't come soon enough really.
Sounds harsh, but the sooner the shoot these two, the quicker they are out of the spotlight.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
2 (or is it 9?) lives lost vs how many saved because their shiz didn't make it to the streets?

Keep in mind that at least a few of these fools have significant prior criminal history and at least a few of them had successfully trafficked heroine before. I'd go so far as to say most on death row 'see the light' and well its kinda like when you tighten that bolt 1/2 a turn too far and strip it. Too little to late I say.

JETURBO

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF R8 SV
Who cares at all ?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
We as Australians expect people to live by our laws when they visit or move to our country so why should any Australian do any different when they visit any foreign country.

To me a bullet is the easy way out. Rotting in a squalid Balinese prison cell for the rest of your life would be a much harsher punishment.

As for the boycott Bali movement, the Balinese don't care about our politics, views or anything - just their own as we do. They just want our money and if this is hurting them so much, they should maybe stop ripping people off and taking advantage of tourists and people might start going more often.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Oh another thing, someone told me recently (not sure of the truth of this as I am not interested enough to research it) that they both refuse to name the people they report to/got them to be mules. Now if they were so into God and all things good and right, then why not name them?

Either way they are dead men, so give up those higher up the drug chain.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
If you were told "give anyone up and your mum/dad/brother/sister/everyone you hold dear will be dead".
Would you give them up?

I kind of disagree with the death penalty for this crime. Sure they new the laws etc...
Did they do this entirely on there own free will?
They got in with the wrong crowd blah blah blah.

At the end of the day, they are just another man on death row.
A man can physically rape and murder but not get the same punishment depending on what soil he commits his crime?

If you think this drop in the ocean made any difference to any junkie getting a hit your sadly mistaken.
I agree killing 'them' is letting 'them' get of lightly, knowing your locked up in poor conditions, eating rice everyday would drive you insane.
but, killing them isnt really a punishment, well atleast, not for them.
it could be your brother, son or dad. What did YOU do to have this significant person in your life taken from you?

Who really gets punished here?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I made a comment on the political thread when these guys got a mention. Views haven't changed. They disrespected the laws of the country they were in. Now face the consequences, how that country sees fit.

As for boycotting Bali, meh whatever. I've booked a family trip to take our one year old boy for his first visit at the end of July. A mate has just booked his fortieth birthday over there and heaps of crew are going.

Can taste the watered down bin tang already