Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Charging

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
I don't see the need.

You do have an alternator that's up to providing the power your electrical system requires right?

As I mentioned in my original post, it's the stock alternator, the same alternator that I assume the car has had its entire life. I was wondering if that could possibly be on its way out, but not sure what the expected lifespan of an alternator is.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
As I mentioned in my original post, it's the stock alternator, the same alternator that I assume the car has had its entire life. I was wondering if that could possibly be on its way out, but not sure what the expected lifespan of an alternator is.

what sort of volts do you get when everything is running?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
what sort of volts do you get when everything is running?

I'm pretty sure it gets 14 or over, but I haven't really checked, as I do all my testing on the battery, so when the car is off. I'll have to confirm it tonight.

Getting over 14 means the alternator is fine right?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
I'm pretty sure it gets 14 or over, but I haven't really checked, as I do all my testing on the battery, so when the car is off. I'll have to confirm it tonight.

Getting over 14 means the alternator is fine right?

Yeah, with everything on you dont want it dropping below 13volts for long...think of the battery is there for only starting the car, when running everything is run from the alternator.. The stock alt is 80amp, there are 120amp ones out there and the supercharger one is slightly high rated than a stock one....I think

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah 14 is about right, that's constant not with drops?

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
Ah right, hence the suggestion of turning up sound system and headlights on etc..

Yeah 14 is constant, but I haven't testing with the music turned up, as when bass kicks, it could possibly drop..

However in saying that, I haven't been listening to my music like that in a while (subs went in when I was much younger lol)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah right, hence the suggestion of turning up sound system and headlights on etc..

Yeah 14 is constant, but I haven't testing with the music turned up, as when bass kicks, it could possibly drop..

However in saying that, I haven't been listening to my music like that in a while (subs went in when I was much younger lol)

the amps aren't staying on and draining the battery are they? Maybe disconnect them and see if you get any change.

Take it for a good run, if possible top up your battery with demineralised water (I know mine you can top up if you remove the clamp and a flap).

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
the amps aren't staying on and draining the battery are they? Maybe disconnect them and see if you get any change.

Take it for a good run, if possible top up your battery with demineralised water (I know mine you can top up if you remove the clamp and a flap).

I have wondered about whether the amps are staying on. I'll add that to the list of things to check.

I do get to take the car for a solid drive every Saturday now ~35.5kms, taking around 40 minutes, so I would have thought that would be helping more than it seems to.
Perhaps it is a matter of requiring more water in the battery, so I'll grab some of that from the shop and top it up

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have wondered about whether the amps are staying on. I'll add that to the list of things to check.

I do get to take the car for a solid drive every Saturday now ~35.5kms, taking around 40 minutes, so I would have thought that would be helping more than it seems to.
Perhaps it is a matter of requiring more water in the battery, so I'll grab some of that from the shop and top it up

if you can that will make a difference - not all batteries can be topped up but it's worth doing it if they can be. Low electrolytic fluid will mean the battery will not hold a charge.

Denno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Lumina
if you can that will make a difference - not all batteries can be topped up but it's worth doing it if they can be. Low electrolytic fluid will mean the battery will not hold a charge.

I shall make getting distilled water my number 1 priority then!

Thanks for the advice guys, hopefully these little tweaks can make a difference