Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Battery Saver Mode On

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all

jumped in the SSV the other morning ... car started fine ... all of a sudden I notice that the trip computer display is saying "Battery Saver Mode On".

Wouldn't let me toggle between info, and also interestingly, the jog wheel on the left hand side of the steering wheel would not shuffle between CD tracks or radio stations but I could use the mode button.

Came good after about 10 minutes, and have not seen it again since.

Owners Handbook says that it is a warning for low battery voltage, however I think it was more like a computer error.

Anyone else seen this?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
could be your battery, i might come good after a while because of the alt but then it should charge the battery. might have batt terminal issues?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
there is a tech bulliten out for a poor connection in the main positive feed line just in front of the flywall, somewhere around there. im not sure how many vehicles may be affected.

id also go to the engineering mode, by holding the enter button down while turning the ignition on, and scroll down to battery level and see what it says. if its low, see if holden will charge the battery under warrenty, you need a special charger that charges calcium batteries so your backyard charger wont fully charge them

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Thanks Andyman - good advice!

Hanisalama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden caprice wm series v6 3.6l
Hi all

jumped in the SSV the other morning ... car started fine ... all of a sudden I notice that the trip computer display is saying "Battery Saver Mode On".

Wouldn't let me toggle between info, and also interestingly, the jog wheel on the left hand side of the steering wheel would not shuffle between CD tracks or radio stations but I could use the mode button.

Came good after about 10 minutes, and have not seen it again since.

Owners Handbook says that it is a warning for low battery voltage, however I think it was more like a computer error.

Anyone else seen this?
I had the same message that the first time I've seen it in my caprice then not even 10 minutes less than 5 minutes its gone ive checked my battery 4months ago and the battery tested ok

Holden348

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV L98
Voltage regulator in your alternator needs replacing or replace alternator.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
there is a tech bulliten out for a poor connection in the main positive feed line just in front of the flywall, somewhere around there. im not sure how many vehicles may be affected.

id also go to the engineering mode, by holding the enter button down while turning the ignition on, and scroll down to battery level and see what it says. if its low, see if holden will charge the battery under warrenty, you need a special charger that charges calcium batteries so your backyard charger wont fully charge them
When I removed the dash from my Calais, this terminal was loose and also had not been covered with the factory rubber cap (which was hanging). Loose exposed positive terminal it’s whole life until I found it. It was only finger tight.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
As above ^^^^
or
This can be caused by a weak battery, [it may appear ok with 12+ volts, but it could be just what is know as surface charge]
Or
an Alternator that is not charging correctly
Or
Both.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... ive checked my battery 4months ago and the battery tested ok...
Just measuring voltage isn’t a good test so presumably you did a load test....

Even if you did a load test, where the battery passed, if it was beginning to sulphate when you did the test, then within 4 months it can have sulphate to the point it would be dead as a door nail. So try an load testing the battery again to ensure it’s indeed OK or failed.

After doing a load test, if it’s ok, then measuring the battery voltage when the engine is running as this should give an indication if the alternator regulator is working correctly.

Mind you, with the VE’s smart charge system, its may seem to not be charging when you think it should be charging so turn on the headlights and the alternator should kick in charge mode. Also check the current sensor at the battery as the BCM uses this to measure battery load and determine change level using some may be not so clever algorithm (there was a software update to the charge algorithm within the BCM and likely a tech bulletin on this issue also).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Holden did that on ours.

I should add, if you want to find the fire wall terminal, it’s behind the glove box, right up high top left in the footwell. You’d have really get your melon up in there to see it. Immediately under the left corner of the windscreen. Make sure the battery negative terminal is disconnected first before checking it. It will be a red cable and have a black cap on it.