Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Been Holden Out- Middle Aged Noob gets First Holden Ever- VS Ute- This Gonna be Fun!

Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by TribUte, May 6, 2016.

1. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    Oh ok, I have no idea but Google images is my guide. haha!
    What are the 17's then, VT GTS maybe?

Had a another Gumtree Win today, got some better nick doorcards, a dashmat, the tool to wind down the spare wheel and a 2.5" Redback Catback exhaust, all for $150.
    The Spare Winder Handle alone is $70 from Holden.
    Exhaust was Easy as to bolt on and sounds very well indeed. :D

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    It seems to be coming along nicely
    The black painted wheel certainly looks like a vt gts, vx clubsport and v2 series 1 monaro rim but they are 18 x 8.
    Look on the inside of the wheel , if they are they'll be stamped hsv on the spokes along with wheel size and other numbers (info), even the monaro wheels were hsv items

3. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    Ok, it's official... I'm Hopeless.
    Another Gumtree Win in the form of 17" VT Clubsport HSV? rims. (this is what the seller claims) they do have HSV stamped on the inside.
    Tyres are in great nick but are bigger diameter than they should be. 235/50R17. should be 45's.
    Clearance to the spring seat on the strut is VERY tight but it's clearance nonetheless.

Shit Photo but Fat Ute. Hahaha!!!

[​IMG]

Lows to comes. :D

4. JCL

JCL Member

Members Ride:
    VS V6 Ute
    Nice to see it on the road. Im a big fan of those wheels but i think you should paint them silver again, they lose their look in black to me.

With some lowered springs it will start to all come together

5. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    The paint's a better job than on the Ute! Haha... but these rims likely won't stay, although I'm liking them more and more.
    We'll see. ;)

Better pic with some clear indicators, orange bulbs and replaced the front indicators bulbs aswell.
    Cleaned the windows.

[​IMG]

6. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    They look good. It would probably look pretty mean sitting lower and all that black on black. That sort of wheels or there are others that are almost identical that I'm thinking I wouldn't mind for my ute

7. Wozza

Wozza Active Member

Members Ride:
    VR_GS commodore
    Thats not looking to bad at all....was going to do something similar but cant afford 2 cars :(.. so gave up on getting a ute and put the saved dollars into my sedan...was going to rat mod it, all you need is to lower her a lot, throw some Mexican drop rugs over the seats,and maybe some red high lights like wheels,front inlets and some 50's pin-striping over the tailgate....something like this
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/67147237@N03/9291201847

Ps you might need to change the heading of this thread to
    Been Holden Out- Middle Aged Noob gets 2nd Holden Ever- VS Ute- This Gonna be Fun!
    :D

8. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    That is awesome!!! Makes me want some seriously pumped guards. haha!

Paid Rego and now Pete is officially on the Streets. ;)

Gumtreed me a Max Ellery's and a Brand New Antenna cheap. (mine is snapped off)
    Also GT'd some front low King Springs but I'm not sure how they'll go with the Lovell's super lows I already got for the rear. (which seem to be for sedan according to the part No.)
    Some New Buttons for the key and a badge off eBay.

Purchased a drivebelt from SuperChimp and put it on, but not before I carefully popped open the seal on a chirpy idler pulley bearing and greased it up real good.
    Chirp no more.

Yesterday arvo I installed a $23.76 water pump off eBay so we'll see how that goes.
    First time changing a water pump, took about an hour and a half in fading light and temperature, but it was easy as.
    (insert obligatory whinge regarding getting the old gasket off)
    Definitely worth the effort and so far it seems to be working great. (now with 99.9% less leakage.)
    Well overdue by the looks of the barnacles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Somewhere in the timeline I got some more RDAs off eBay for Cheaper Again than the first lot.

[​IMG]

and a PhotoChop for Lows. hahaha!!!

[​IMG]

9. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    Hmmm... what else has happened?

Having had a bit of rain over the last few weeks, I was unsure what was causing wet carpet in the passengers footwell.
    Could be leaking windscreen or heater core perhaps?

The changing of the water pump pretty much answered that one as all of a sudden there was decent leakage underneath around the gearbox area.

Sourced a 2nd hand core from Speeds and did the quicker cut n shut swap over.
    Fiddly but All Fixed. :D

[​IMG]

I didn't even realize the doorcards were different until I pulled them out and put in my nicer ones and some of Dad's handmedown Sheepskin seat covers.

[​IMG]

Also discovered the speaker wires must be broken in the drivers door hinge area as the right speaker cuts in and out if the door is opened or closed.
    I suspect there is likely a similar issue with the passengers electric mirror. Not a priority but I'll look into these things.

For curiosity sake I tried to check the ECU for codes and found the Check Engine Light didn't even work.
    Swapped some bulbs around (which did nothing) and also put in some standard but Orange T10 bulbs for the gauges at the same time. (Still green but the needles POP!!!)
    Pulled the ECU and found some corrosion on a few pins so I cleaned that up and Hello CEL!!!
    Checked codes... only code 12 showed up so all good.

10. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    I'll just leave these here. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Gaiter

Gaiter Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS Thunder
    I dont know what it is, but man VS Commodores just look tough. Always been a fan of their shape, never liked their interior however.

12. Adelaidetradie86

Adelaidetradie86 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    Haven t been on in a while but your ute is coming along nicely mate. Some lower springs would be the go now for sure.
    Loving your work

13. Aussie XB12SS

Aussie XB12SS Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 & VU SS Fifty
    One of my favourite Holden wheels.

14. Adelaidetradie86

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    whats been happening with the black beast?
    i like checking your thread. Gives me ideas on what stuff to do to keep the old girl ticking along

15. Adelaidetradie86

Members Ride:
    VS Ute Series 2
    I hope the reason you haven t been posting is that your too busy driving your ute around. stop "holden out" on your updates!!!

16. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    ooooohhh... the site has been tweaked!!! Looks good and now seems to be easier for attaching pics! :)
    Hmmm... let me cast my mind back as it has been a while since an update.
    Lifey stuff's been getting in the way unfortunately but in general the ute has been going great with no problems at all!
    Sadly though I still haven't gotten around to lowering it yet. soon? Hopefully.

I did get to doing a bit of a service myself though, as in spark plugs, oil, filter and diff oil (which did quieten the whine slightly).
    VS Ute Pete Servicing.jpg
    Also acquired a white SS lip off Gumtree that I lightly hit with some matt black and fitted and cleaned off (with thinners) some black from the bumper to reveal the silver strip beneath which I reckon looks pretty good especially with the grill.
    I'm considering attacking it more and getting this thing at least partially back to the original White!
    VS Ute Pete Lipped.jpg

20161008_173934.jpg
    more secondhand bargain online bits in the form of some tradies Bars (which are mostly off but good to have the option) and a tub liner.
    Drove from Canberra to Cooma to collect the Tub Liner which was a great drive and the first time out on the Highway in the Ute.
    So incredibly Bloke... Drove me Aussie Ute to a Country Town and ate a Pie.
    20161029_165450.jpg
    Got a new Whiteline Strut Brace off eBay...
    20161008_160348.jpg
    Somewhere in the mix I Sold my Subaru Liberty Wagon for various reasons (great car but no regrets) but due to lifey stuff and the fact the ute only seats 2... I needed another Wagon.

Enter the VX...
    vx hbd 4.jpg
    Bought a 2002 VX Acclaim HBD Wagon cheap as it had low km's, a little dinged here n there and a noisey engine. (suspected Sticky lifters)
    After a bit of stuffing round and trying fresh oil etc, a mate sourced a full set of new lifters for trade price, I got some gaskets and we spent an afternoon putting them in after a good n long marinating in oil...
    20161111_171843.jpg

20161119_151250.jpg
    but sadly this didn't fix the clack clack clack so It's up For Sale as I'm not willing to spend more time and money on it.
    Still curious what else it may be as I don't think it's bottom end.
    Cam bearing maybe?

But I Still Need a Wagon ASAP!
    so this happened 3 days ago... 20161205_182136.jpg
    2003 VY Berlina Wagon, very well maintained and in pretty good nick. (worst bit is some clearcoat peel on the passengers front quarter.)
    Within an hour I'd taken off the stock Berlina Alloys and put on a New Strut Brace I'd pre purchased off eBay. lol
    20161205_172754.jpg
    Really Great Car so far, I did an oil and filter change yesterday and it's booked in for a Rego inspection next week.
    Colour is "Martini"
    His name shall be Martin.
    I'm Hopeless.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Jaymz and afstruct like this.
  17. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    Spilt some thinners (approx 2.5l), some cutting compound, a bit of sweat and a whole lotta elbow grease.

aviary_1489208723519.jpg

Also FINALLY put my Springs in.
    Kings lows in the front and Lovell super lows in the rear. (I believe they're for sedan).

Needs a cleanup buts Looks alright.
    Now for a panhard rod and a few bushes.
    Gotta get my previously purchased rotors and pads on too but may even be acquiring a full manual conversion and LSD.
    We'll see.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  18. afstruct

afstruct Member

Members Ride:
    Gone totally Holden. Was quite liking the all mat black look.

19. TribUte

TribUte Holden On

Members Ride:
    s2 VS Ute
    The Black was pretty fresh when I bought it but is more of a dirty dark grey now.
    To be honest it makes me feel a little dirty slowly progressing through the various shades. Lol

All Holden was short lived as I Sold the VY due to circumstances.
    Shame as it was a Great Car despite it's 260xxxkms.
    I now have my Dad's 09 Forester.