Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bigger Cam or Exhaust system?

vessm

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss manual
Ive got a ve ss manual, i want to get something done to get some more power,
should i got for full exhaust system or get bigger cam done?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Gee I would have thought that for road use, 270kw was more than adequate. If you are considering track racing suggest you contact a reputable perfromance workshop and discuss with them how to spend heaps of money. There are plenty of them out there just waiting for you to knock on their door. In the meantime you could consider a CAI that should give you quite a few extra kw and talk to an exhaust shop about improving eshaust gas flow, you could find a few more kw there. Seriously though, check the forums there's heaps of go faster advice and also hepas of how to loose your licence advise out there too. Perhaps you should have saved a bit longer until you could have afforded an HSV.

vessm

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss manual
haha no thanks you get more power out of doin up the ve ss,
the hsv's have **** heads on them and dont pull out as much power when doing mods as the ve ss, ssv.

Ive got a cold air intake on already want exhaust or cam then gonna get mafless tune.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
haha no thanks you get more power out of doin up the ve ss,
the hsv's have **** heads on them and dont pull out as much power when doing mods as the ve ss, ssv.

Ive got a cold air intake on already want exhaust or cam then gonna get mafless tune.

LOL!!!

You're kind of right, but not really.

The heads on the LS2 are far from sh*t. They just don't flow as well as the heads on the L98. HSV were p*ssed off when Holden first started using the L98 (after the L76) for this reason but they still manage to to get 37 more kw at the flywheel when comparing the factory spec cars.

However what you say about modification is almost right. You will notice a bigger increase in power when modifying the L98 engine. They start with about 210 - 220 rwkw and with full exhaust, cai and tune will get around 260 - 270 rwkw. That's about a 20% power gain at the rear wheels. The LS2 on the other hand starts at around 230 - 240 rwkw and with full exhaust, CAI and tune gets up to about 270 - 280 rwkw. That's about a 15% gain.

So the power gains for the L98 (in the current SS) is more than for the LS2 (in the current HSVs) but the total power output of an LS2 powered HSV is still more even though the gains from doing the same mods aren't as much.

Hope this cleared it up for you.

Bottom line though, what should you do regarding mods? Well that's up to you and what you want out of the car. I would recommend CAI, full exhaust and tune to start with... There's plenty to choose from and a lot of people have spent a lot of time and money on the VE lineup working out what works best and what doesn't. Personally, I'd go for tri-y headers rather than 4 into 1 headers because they make more power in the low/mid range. 4 into 1 headers make their power up high so you get more rwkw but you'll never use it (legally) on the public roads. If you into track days, get the 4 into 1 headers. As far as CAI goes, go for an OTR (over the radiator) option. Up to you if you retain the MAF or not but if you don't, you will need a tune straight away. And with the VE, the general consesnus is that MAFless doesn't increase usable power like it does with the LS1.

As far as exhaust size, dual 2.5 inch is big enough (not much more power from a dual 3 inch) but if you want a cam later on, dual 3 inch will be better. I went with a custom dual 3 inch. I have the ORSSOM OTRCAI (from CAI Pty Ltd - Orssom Performance OTRCAI Products) and this Friday I'm getting a MAF tune. Next month, Pacemaker ceramic coated tri-y headers and high flow cats will go on and the tune will be tweaked again.

Hopefully before Christmas I'll get the cam and valve springs done. Mostly for the lumpy feel and sound of a cam but will also be nice to have the "RWKW" sticker under the 307 bootlid badge :D

vessm

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss manual
Yeah im planning to go with exhaust system from sureflo now, there dual 3"
also i do want to do bigger cam later on.
im gonna get the same otrcai as uve got or the russo performance one?

not sure who im gonna get tune off prolly still oztrack.

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
exhaust comes first, take my word for it

and after you do all of the above and still want more power get a forsed induction (TT or a S\C)

and if you still want more power (if you ain't broke alredy :D ) get a NOS

... thats what would I do :D:D:D:D:D

Jason mcfarlane

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Maloo r8 series 2 ls2
I have vz maloo ls2 manual I've got 1/58 headers 2.5 full stainless no thinning going cam what do I do with the exhaust and header do I go 1 3/4 or 1 7/8

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
1 7/8" is retrograde with your setup not matter what, whether 1 3/4" is an upgrade depends on the overall design.

Bradssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv nissan navara
I have vz maloo ls2 manual I've got 1/58 headers 2.5 full stainless no thinning going cam what do I do with the exhaust and header do I go 1 3/4 or 1 7/8
Depends what cam you go with. Mild cam go 1 3/4. Big cam 1 7/8