Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest Battery for VZ

Rod VZ Storm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm ute M6
Thats a VERY INTERESTING COMMENT you make Ronald. Thankyou for raising it. I think I might investigate (google) futher over the weekend. I have always wondered why they use the different materials.

OK, i did some research on the 'net and found that these batteries with "calcium" do handle a higher charge voltage better we they gas less and have less water loss = longer life basically. They also self discharge slower meaning less flat batteries on imported cars coming off ships they claim. The Century technical people claimed that the battery in my original post does use a calcium alloy and is fine to use in my car. My original post has been edited to reflect their comments.

Ive been playing around with 4x4s and boats with dedicated house batteries and VSR style isolating relays for a while so I know how they work. I didnt want to get that elaborate in the car ! I dont do super long periods running accessories with the engine off. But if im stopped for 30mins - 2hrs with a couple of radios running on receive, parking lights (with trailer attached), interior light and factory stereo there is a moderate amount of current drain.
Going the slightly larger battery gives me better piece of mind when going to re-start.

Thanks for all the other comments. I didnt want to go totally overboard with the size or price. I only wanted to spend a few extra dollars to get something bigger. I think I said i wanted the BIGGEST in my first post.... ok maybe that was an exageration!

SuperCharge batteries have a 600CCA listed for the VZ on their web site, but Ive never been a fan of their brand. But to be honest I must admist ive ever used one. Ive had good faithfull service from Besco, Century and Exide in my last few cars and boats so have been sticking with them. Im not sure who actually makes Besco. I know Champion batteries are Exide.

Kmart has the calcium style Exides for the VZ around $119 retail (even better if they have 15-25% off Auto. These are a slightly higher capacity than the standard battery.

By the way, 110RC is reserve capacity in minutes. Its how many minutes you can draw about 20-25 amps for without the battery dropping below a certain voltage. There is a standard for it and I think its mentioned in the FAQ on the Exide website)

Amp hours is a different figure tested in a different way.

cheers ... and thanks to everyone who replied.
Rod

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
if you want to use less power in your interior and trailer lights, and maybe parking lights depending on bulb style- change them to LED's

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
I have the SuperCharge 600CCA in my VZ, it was in the car when I bought it. From the service records it was installed earlier this year. I don’t know if it is any good but I am running a reasonably demanding sound system and never experienced any problems?
Hope this helps.....

While were on the subject of batteries it looks like the old battery had leaked quite badly because there is battery acid residue around the battery housing and even a little had leaked down near the sway bar, does anyone know a good way of removing this cos it’s a bit of concern and may cause corrosion??
I have tried hi pressure cleaner at the car wash but it’s still visible? Sorry for hijacking mate.

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
While were on the subject of batteries it looks like the old battery had leaked quite badly because there is battery acid residue around the battery housing and even a little had leaked down near the sway bar, does anyone know a good way of removing this cos it’s a bit of concern and may cause corrosion??

dishwashing liquid and a scrubbing brush, but the dishwashing liquid will need to be alkaline,

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I use Delkor batteries and wouldn't use anything else.
In my ute i run a deep cycle along with my cranking battery an have never had any dramas with power.
Ute has a fridge,driving lights, UHF and phone and cd player with amp etc.
As said before, plenty of room in the ute tub, mine is a dual cab and i have tools and stuff for work in there and still have plenty of room left for a battery if needed.

Deltak

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have tried hi pressure cleaner at the car wash but it’s still visible? Sorry for hijacking mate.

As the battery is Acid then a good alkalie is required. Suggest good old carb soda (bicarbonic soda or Baking soda) in water to wash down the battery and area. This will froth and bubble and neutalised the acid. Flush with clean water and your done.

by the way, a pinch of carb soda in a little milk or water fixeds heart burn/ upset stomach very quickly!

Deltak

colk

VZ 3.6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Exec
As the battery is Acid then a good alkalie is required. Suggest good old carb soda (bicarbonic soda or Baking soda) in water to wash down the battery and area. This will froth and bubble and neutalised the acid. Flush with clean water and your done.

by the way, a pinch of carb soda in a little milk or water fixeds heart burn/ upset stomach very quickly!

Deltak

haha thanks ill remeber that one next time i get an upset stomach
Ill give the bicarb ago around the battery today and let ya know, cheers mate.

SS35OZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute 5.7 A4
I use Delkor batteries and wouldn't use anything else.
In my ute i run a deep cycle along with my cranking battery an have never had any dramas with power.
Ute has a fridge,driving lights, UHF and phone and cd player with amp etc.
As said before, plenty of room in the ute tub, mine is a dual cab and i have tools and stuff for work in there and still have plenty of room left for a battery if needed.

Spread the good word my friend :thumbsup:.........and DELKOR are a MAINTENANCE FREE CALCIUM battery and have a 3 YEAR WARRANTY :D

yes i work for Delkor.......:whistling