Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Biggest cam for L98

voodoossvuteSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Special Edition
haha cheers.. if any1 has had any experience with driving different types of cams, if u could post it in this thread that would be awesome..

Thanks

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I have the VCM "Stage-7" cam which I think is 232/234 and it has quite a lump to it. I made 308ATW before a retune.

Cocopopz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS MY9.5, VL LS2
What is the drivability like on that cam?

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
If your woried about low down torque you can do what i did and install some 4.11 diff gears

godspell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
G'day mate,

You have to consider first exactly what it is you're after. My advice to my tuner was that I did not under any circumstances want to lose any torque vs the factory cam. This is because I drive the car to work every day, and on 3,000km road trips at least once a year where 6th gear counts. It's not just a track car, although it does see the track at least once a month.

I ended up getting a 228/230 cam, using 1 3/4" tri-y extractors (the scavenging effect helps with torque vs 4-into-1 extractors) OTR and dual 3", and shaving the heads to increase the static comp. Using this combination, the cam's torque curve never dips below the factory curve. End result was 320rwkw, using the factory cats (which are a significant restriction, you'll likely get better figures on high-flow cats.)

This setup I find to be very driveable. Apart from the lumpy exhaust note, which is awesome, the only time I notice the cam is when I dip below about 1250rpm, then the power delivery causes a bit of drivetrain shunt. But who drives at that RPM anyway? ;)

That, or go with what cheesy_j said above. Some 4.11 gears will help to make the gearing shorter, but keep in mind you'll lose even more economy with your engine spinning so quickly all the time - and a cam does increase consumption!

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
haha cheers.. if any1 has had any experience with driving different types of cams, if u could post it in this thread that would be awesome..

Thanks

I've had a 224/230 and a 224/244 cam in my ve's about to get my 239/247 head/cam ute running soon. Cams for the L92 head require more exhaust duration due to the massive intake valve vs the small exhaust valve, my crane 224/244 112 ran heaps better than a 224/230 and didn't lose low down power. Not sure where your located by find a reputable shop that can give you some feedback/advice. Something like a comp lsr 227/239 would be nice

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
What is the drivability like on that cam?

Has a great "cammy" idle and hasnt made much difference in regards to my daily drive in terms of low down torque around the city, etc. I did put a 2800rpm converter in and also changed to 3.7:1 LSD to compensate though.

theblueweapon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV A6 ute
Heads up on cams 101. The "cam" noise is called "lope". Sounds like the more"lope" the better. Lope is that lumpy, fat idle sound heard with performance LS1's, often with 4 into 1 headers. Cheers. Hope this helps.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
You can make nearly any cam sound 'lumpy' at idle, 10 seconds in the tune with a laptop and there you go.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I went for a smaller cam on the advice of Steve at Oztrack. 220/220 112 and i love it. Great all round pickup, not as much top end as you guys, but awesome bottom end, which is what i want for day to day driving anway, and Steve was able to rough up the idle for me which was what i wanted. No point in having a cam and smooth idle.