Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black Edition SV6 "Sandman"

Discussion in 'VF' started by Camper, Mar 19, 2017 at 10:36 PM.

1. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    Hey all,

New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.
    Name's Cameron, wanted to build my perfect 2wd roadtrippin machine. So far I have the S2 VF SV6 Ute Black Edition in Jungle Green, I had Amcat in Melbourne put on the "Sandman" canopy. I plan on building a camper in the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    some more photos before the transformation begins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    I am having the front/rear bumpers, rocker panels and wheel arches sprayed in Speed Liner, whole car wrapped in 3M PPF and then Opticoated, should be compete in the next week.

4. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    [​IMG]

Speed Liner done

5. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
  6. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Good to see its being used for what it should be, not a big fan of the colour clash though. Did you look into getting the colour tinted stone guard? Can't remember the name of it but I think would have looked great on this.

7. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    Hi Sandman,
    The idea for this build is all about back country travel and road tripping, hence the over the top protection around the car.
    I did look at the bonnet protector but the consensus was that leaves dust etc get trapped behind and cause damage, same with the headlight protectors. I will be fitting a nudge bar and some driving lights, when I can find someone to fabricate it my way.

8. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is the thought process behind wrapping over the speed liner ?

Camper likes this.
  9. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    Do you mean am I wrapping the Speed Liner? I'm not, it will have some Opticoat trim protector to stop it fading. Just the green bits will get the PPF.

If you mean why the speed liner/PPF, well.

I want to be able to drive on terrible, outback, one lane, gravel and dirt roads without worrying that a stone chip, a stray branch/rock etc. will ruin my ride. I want to do this in a comfortable, fast car, I grew up on driving holidays around Australia in diesel 4wd's. Step Dad would not go over 80 in the old yellow cruiser.

I wanted to have that protection without messing with the lines of the vehicle, no trimming panels, lifting, or adding undue weight.
    I plan to punish this machine, to drive it where I probably shouldn't for days on end. Hell even the roads I regularly travel for work would eat most cars, my current car will attest to that.

80% of the time I'll be on blacktop highways sailing along at 110, hopefully getting 6L/100K's

Plus, Holden gave me 10 years roadside assist on any registered road in the nation.

10. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    Oh, OK. When I read this, I thought you meant the speed lined areas would be wrapped as well.

Keen to see what roads you can take this on.

Camper likes this.
  11. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    Sorry yeah, should have been written better, I was trying to say that the whole car would be wrapped as opposed to a "clear bra" style.

I reckon I'll get a lot of places, not much clearance sure, but when I think of many outback dirt and gravel roads they're fairly flat.
    I'm not trying to rock crawl or cross rivers, just get to the camp ground and see the sights.

VS 5.0 likes this.
  12. VS 5.0

VS 5.0 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS 5 Litre BT1
    I had a couple of mates who went travellng in an XC panelvan in the late 80's.

From the Gold Coast across to Birdsvlle for the races, to Uluru, up to Darwin and across and back down to the coast.

That thing was baby blue, lowered on dragways with a bed set up half way up the rear area with storage underneath.

Got them everywhere they need to go and served them well.

Camper likes this.
  13. Camper

Camper New Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SV6 Ute
    F
    Funny you should say Birdsville, I was just thinking about when a mate and I went there a couple of years ago. I thought at the time you really didn't need 4wd or even much clearance.

Mum made it from Adelaide to Darwin in the late 70's in a station wagon with 3 kids before me, and we did quite a bit of camping around Darwin in her Torana.

We also did heaps of trips out of Alice Springs where you really didn't need 4wd, I can only imagine it's even easier today.

And yet when you look around at travelers guides, tourist info etc. You'd be forgiven for thinking you need a fully kitted fourby to leave the suburbs.

VS 5.0 likes this.