Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bleeding brakes on a car with abs

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
It goes towards the caliper and then it returns from the caliper...unless the air is released from the system it will still be there.

Haha...
I've probably bled as many brakes as you Hako! :)

I was more curious about the logic behind the comment.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Haha...
I've probably bled as many brakes as you Hako! :)

I was more curious about the logic behind the comment.

The real problem with pumping the brakes whilst air is in the lines is that the brake fluid becomes aerated with millions of microscopic air bubbles getting trapped in the fluid - only real fix then is a complete flush - this is also a reason why you don't re-use the brake fluid pumped out when bleeding.
Completely off topic, but I bought a '38 Chev Master back quite a few years...brakes were a bit spongy and pedal would not return so decided to bleed them and found the seller (dodgy car yard on Parramatta Rd) had used engine oil instead of brake fluid - apparently to swell the brake rubbers and stop leaks. There was no easy fix for that and it ended up at Sydney Showgrounds as a stock car where brakes were optional....it was a real shame to see all those solid 1930-40 Ford,Chevs and Chryslers etc being smashed to scrap every weekend at the stock car derbys....good fun but.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
1930-40 Ford,Chevs and Chryslers etc being smashed to scrap

NOOOO.......

I've seen dodgy stuff before, but never engine oil in place of brake fluid!

Behaviour like that is what gives mechanics a bad name.

jamdwan

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS HSV Clubsport Manual, 1998 HSV Clubsport
How I got mine to work

I had exactly the same problem. Squishy Pedal all of a sudden. Got brakes bled, no different. Did calliper seals on all corners, same squishy pedal feeling. Next was master cylinder - you guessed it, same squishy pedal. Was at a loss as next up was the option of braided brake lines. No thanks as they are over $500 installed in New Zealand!!!!

Looked at this thread Saturday lunchtime and saw what Brett_jjj had said in a reply: "If you bleed the brakes, and still find that they are a bit spongey, try locking up the brakes a few times on grass or gravel, which will activate the ABS modulator, letting any trapped air through, so it can be bled out"

I did this on the road straight after I read it, slammed brakes on at about 50kph. Pedal straight down no ABS activation. Tried again ABS kicked straight in, but pedal felt better. Did it a 3rd time and hey presto!!! ABS on straight away and pedal is now ROCK SOLID!!!!

Looks like is was inside the ABS module as you said. Been driving today and pedal is fantastic!!! No need to re-bleed the system.

So thank you so much guys for all your input. I may have spent around $600 doing everything but you saved me another $500 so much appreciated.

You guys ROCK!!!!

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
How I got mine to work

I had exactly the same problem. Squishy Pedal all of a sudden. Got brakes bled, no different. Did calliper seals on all corners, same squishy pedal feeling. Next was master cylinder - you guessed it, same squishy pedal. Was at a loss as next up was the option of braided brake lines. No thanks as they are over $500 installed in New Zealand!!!!

Looked at this thread Saturday lunchtime and saw what Brett_jjj had said in a reply: "If you bleed the brakes, and still find that they are a bit spongey, try locking up the brakes a few times on grass or gravel, which will activate the ABS modulator, letting any trapped air through, so it can be bled out"

I did this on the road straight after I read it, slammed brakes on at about 50kph. Pedal straight down no ABS activation. Tried again ABS kicked straight in, but pedal felt better. Did it a 3rd time and hey presto!!! ABS on straight away and pedal is now ROCK SOLID!!!!

Looks like is was inside the ABS module as you said. Been driving today and pedal is fantastic!!! No need to re-bleed the system.

So thank you so much guys for all your input. I may have spent around $600 doing everything but you saved me another $500 so much appreciated.

You guys ROCK!!!!
Hi people,
My vr v6 abs brakes had a bad pedal that went straight to the floor with out trying hard to push it. ended up being seized slides on rear calipers.
We bleed the brakes as normal, but had engine running for a whole round, and also with out engine running for a whole round.

I think I should do the abs kicking in thing a few more times, cause the pedal is still a bit spongy.

Are you saying the pedal should get really firm and have an inch travel or less over all?

Any other ideas are welcome

Pete

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi people,
My vr v6 abs brake pedal was right to the ground before it would start to work last week, the car had been sitting around for over a year.

We put another brake master on, fresh fluid through system, and bled it half a doesen times, but the pedal still went to the ground with out trying hard to push it.

Turned out the slides on the rear calipers were seized.

Replaced front and rear piston seals, re bled system with engine running, and with engine turned off.
I have a better pedal there now, but would be great if It could be better like a non abs pedal?

Hope this can help some one with any brake issues.

Pete

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Update: my Vr was taken for w.o.f recheck, and the brake pedal still failed. The w.o.f man said the pedal should be firm like his late model commodore.
We swapped over calipers last night and bled the system as good as we could, but pedal still has at least an inch or more travel.

The front passenger wheel is really hard to turn with brake caliper on, i used a 2 foot bar between wheel studs to turn hub, with lots of strength, and it moved very slow.??

I haven't tried clamping any brake lines at this stage, I need some clamps that I don't have.

Must still be air in the lines I'm guessing, because the pedal has at least an inch and more travel in it...?

Any ideas will be appreciated please

Pete