Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blocking automatic Windows 10 update

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
All of the W10 phone homes can be configured just not when you upgrade, if you do a clean install (unattended incl) you can turn all of it off.

What version of W7 are you running Calaber? The upgrade notification is a kb from Microsoft which in a corporate scenario can be suppressed/disabled so that updates can be managed internally. Sadly this can't be done with Home versions.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
All of the W10 phone homes can be configured just not when you upgrade, if you do a clean install (unattended incl) you can turn all of it off.

What version of W7 are you running Calaber? The upgrade notification is a kb from Microsoft which in a corporate scenario can be suppressed/disabled so that updates can be managed internally. Sadly this can't be done with Home versions.

Maybe. Fair few articles stating some stay on anyway.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Govco and sensitive private industries would not use a product that could not be configured this way, it's just that with the average home user and version this is not made clear or easy. W10 is an online collective platform and they want you in the hive.

I guess that's the difference between an IT enterprise and your average home user. It's a bit unfair of Microsoft almost insidiously getting up in peoples ****.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Have a look here [WIN10] How to remove the Win10 upgrade reminder virus - Overclockers Australia Forums there are a few ways to kill the update...Ive done it here as we have limited bandwidth and with 8 pc/laptops in house... Ill be shaped for mths :)
also note if you change your mind the free update offer will end july 2016
"Ready for Windows 10? Qualified Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 devices can upgrade for free. Offer ends July 29th, 2016"

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Just wait till someone cracks Win10 and turns off all the bloatware then torrent it.

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
yea ####ing microsoft, lets just force windows 10 on everyone even though they don't want it.

Causes massive ####ing problems in a corporate environment if the dipshit IT guy hasn't got the update settings managed correctly.

I had to spend ages disabling it in the registry and ####ing off the GWX from hundreds of computers.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
All of the W10 phone homes can be configured just not when you upgrade, if you do a clean install
(unattended incl) you can turn all of it off.

Hi pollushon.

It's the Home version. Nothing fancy and only Microsoft updates since purchase in 2013.

I thought I would have seemed ignorant with this thread but obviously members feel the same way I do about this compulsory "free offer". Piss poor from MS in my opinion.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
It's certainly not compulsory.

Windows 10 is, however, the best OS Microsoft have released. It shits on Windows 8 (but that wasn't hard), is miles ahead of Windows 7 and everything before it, and beats out 8.1. There is absolutely no reason NOT to upgrade. You already own a licence for it if you own Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. All the privacy concerns people have can be easily resolved by simply disabling all the parts of Windows that can potentially cause privacy concerns. As for updates, there's nothing to stop you disabling automatic updates either.

I have been using it at home since release, and it's now the corporate MOE and managed very well. Feedback from everyone has averaged out at quite positive. There's always those nutters in the world who think any change is bad.

So I'm just going to throw this out there.... What is anyone who hasn't migrated to Windows 10's reason for not migrating to Windows 10?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Can't stand the thing (10) - yes I've used it.

I just keep it at bay using the GWX control panel mentioned earlier in the thread just waiting for MS to stop trying to give it to me so I can remove GWX control panel.