Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake lights work in park but not in drive.....

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Yeah that pretty much said it all. What could cause this? I've no idea. Please tell me my computer is still ok lol

They were working fine, only noticed this problem in the last week or so

Sam

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
In case you've forgotten since last night:

1) Check the brake light switch. Make sure it's not hangin out, and that all it's wiring is secure.
2) Check if the brake lights work in neutral too. If they do, check the inhibitor switch and all it's wiring for a short. If they don't work in neutral, panic, rip out all the wiring, set fire to it, and replace it...

Looking at the wiring diagram there really doesn't look like there's anything else that could be affecting the operation of the brake lights, and is their function is independent of the rest of the circuitry. It's just a simple switch that turns them on and off.

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
In case you've forgotten since last night:

1) Check the brake light switch. Make sure it's not hangin out, and that all it's wiring is secure.
2) Check if the brake lights work in neutral too. If they do, check the inhibitor switch and all it's wiring for a short. If they don't work in neutral, panic, rip out all the wiring, set fire to it, and replace it...

Looking at the wiring diagram there really doesn't look like there's anything else that could be affecting the operation of the brake lights, and is their function is independent of the rest of the circuitry. It's just a simple switch that turns them on and off.

:rofl:eek:r you will need to check the wiring harness there in probley a short there probley better then burning it:rofl:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
Seems I should never trust what other people tell me about my own car's problems lol

Brake lights work intermittently, and only when applied VERY hard. Like lock-up-the-fronts hard.

Faulty brake light switch is my conclusion after a little mess around just now, What can I do? The switch was already at the limit of adjustment and I used to have to brake fairly hard for the lights to come on.... If I get a new switch I'm guessing I'll just have the same problem again? Can I just bend the plate the switch screws into away from the pedal a bit then re-adjust with a new switch??

Sorry for so many questions
Sam

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
lol i used to think you never used your brakes, apparently i was wrong :p

If I'd ever seen the brake light switch, i'd be more helpful....

shonky12

Reaction score
mate, need a new brakelight switch, open the fuse panel the replace it and aujust it so they come on while lightly applying the brake and get new brakelight sockets because chances are they are probably corroded and follow wiring diagrams plug should be ok but globe sockets may be corroded so get new ones while your there from auto pro

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
All of my park and brake lights work (4 and 5 respectively) so my sockets should be OK... I could get the looms at trade price from Holden if I need to though... . ..

Brakelight switch will need replacing but I'm not sure I'll be able to adjust it right even then... The current switch never worked properly (even at the extremes of adjustment it wasn't sensitive to light application of brakes)... I would have had to screw the switch all the way out of its thread to have it adjusted properly, but then it wouldn't work because it'd fall, if you know what I mean....