Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam angle sensor symptoms?

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hi whats are some of the symptoms of a dodgy or incorrectly woring cam angle sensor?

im getting a miss at idle that is ####ing annoying (not a bad bad miss but very noticable) also while driving can feel a miss under slight acceleration like you can feel teh engin kinnda spluttereing and can be felt through teh steering wheel...its definally a miss, but seems fine if you give it a bootfull

now before you say change this and that etc......everything is and has been changed and its still there only the throttle position sensor and the maf sensors that are still the old ones plus the cam angle sensor. also all new plugs leads you name it its new

its for a vs commodore v6

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Cam angle sensor only controls sequential injector pulse. Won't create a miss. Just goes into closed loop if it fails. Possibly dirty injectors or failing coil pack.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I first got my VSV6, it was giving me error code 48, cam angle sensor -no signal. It was idling really rough and sometimes it would stall completely, basically, it just didnt run well at all. I found that the cam sensor pickup magnet, which is located in the camshaft sprocket, had fallen out of its hole in the sprocket. It had actually hit the pickup sensor, and it put a big gouge in it. Luckily the old pieces of magnet were stuck to the engine block when I removed the timing cover, so they were easy to remove.. I just fitted a new pickup magnet, and problem fixed,and it been running perfect ever since.
Since this happened, Ive read online that some of these engines used in the USA, have also had this same thing happen, its rare, but does happen ocasionally.. The plastic holder that holds the magnet in place in the sprocket becomes brittle, and the magnet falls out, or moves forward in its hole and hits the sensor pickup,which smashes the magnet into pieces like mine did.. Some guys in the US have apparently glued theirs in place so it cant become loose.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Cam angle sensor only controls sequential injector pulse. Won't create a miss. Just goes into closed loop if it fails. Possibly dirty injectors or failing coil pack.

Mine ran absolutely terrible without the cam angle sensor working. As soon as I replaced the cam sensor pickup magnet,it ran perfect again.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
is there any way to check the sensor? like with a multi meter of with e4live software?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Heres what the gregorys workshop manual says about testing the Cam angle sensor-
1) Disconnect the cam angle sensor wiring connector.
2) Measure the voltage between the sensor harness connector terminal A and B, and B and C with the ignition on. The voltage should be 5 -7 volts between terminals A and B, and between 8 -11 volts between terminals B and C.
3) If either of the voltages are incorrect, check the wiring between the sensor and the DFI module for continuity and shorts to earth. Check for continuity to earth at the sensor harness connector terminal B. If no faults are found in the wiring, renew the
DFI module.
4) If both voltages are correct,connect the wiring to the cam angle angle sensor and measure the voltage at the ECU termional D3 with the ignition on.
5) If the voltage is not approximately 4.7 volts, momentarily crank the engine and again check the voltage with the ignition on.
6) If 4.7 volts is not present, check the wiring between the ECU connector terminal D3 and the DFI module for continuity and short to earth. If the wiring is not faulty, renew the cam angle sensor.
7) If 4.7 volts is present at terminal D3, run the engine at idle speed for 1 minute and check the voltage at terminal D3 with the engine idling.
8) If the voltage flunctuates,above and below approximately 4.1 volts, check for a loose or dirty connection at termianl D3. If no fault can be found, and the fault code remains, renew the ECU.
9) If the voltage does not flunctuate above and below approximately 4.1 volts in operation (7), proceed as follows-
(a) Stop the engine and disconnect the wiring from the cam angle sensor.
(b) Switch the ignition on and contact terminal A of the sensor harness connector with a test lamp connected to earth.The volatge at the ECU terminal D3 should drop to 0 volts as the test lamp contacts terminal A.
(c) If the voltage does not drop to 0 volts, renew the DFI module.
(d) If the voltage does drop as described, check for a faulty connection at the sensor , a faulty sensor , or a missing pickup magnet.

Attachments

• pic 35.jpg
    pic 35.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 6,624

asamuel

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Hi Jas 98,
I am just wondering if you managed to locate the source of your problem as my wifes pulsar is showing the exact same signs as you described on your post.

JamieDec82

Reaction score
I was about to post this question today. My car cut out 3 times on my way home from work. When I brake for a complete stop my car feels like its has a mean stall converter in it. Car jolting forward. really bad miss fire until I drive off again. So in my case what would it be? Cam sensor or crank angle sensor?
Ive put brand new injectors in to. Also on gas