Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam angle sensor.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
also. i have thought about changing the front plate. but the cam has to have a magnet on it to tell the sensor where it is doesnt it ?
so this would mean i would need a new cam aswell.
any pictures of the exact location would be helpful but im pretty certain i have a blank there.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Its located between the harmonic balancer and the waterpump - about midway and a bit to the left. There should be either a blanking plate there or a casting mark where it would be if they machined it out. Re the cam - maybe they all have the magnet as its cheaper production-wise otherwise the camshaft sprocket can be unbolted from the cam.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
it has a blank plate thing there but there is a hole in the plate.
so really to install a cam angle sensor. wouldn't cost all that much?

Thats as long as the sensor fits in the hole and there is a magnet on the cam sprocket. When you say "blank plate" does that mean the plate can be removed?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
If you search some of the US sites/forums on other cars that use the Buick V6, you can find info. on how to replace the cam sensor magnet on/in the cam pulley.
(It is more of a problem on earlier cars).

Hako, you may be correct, if the engine is from a late VP, it's possible that provision for the magnet in the cam gear will be present, as often in preparation for a model change, small part differences are made and fitted to the previous model late in the build. (It helps stagger the changes with the new model).

If the hole is there, maybe the engine is VR and the sensor has not been connected for some reason.

Last edited:

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
well i have the small hole. i will check it out tomorrow when its daylight again. like i have the one for the screw.
and also i called my local holden and they could not track the engine number.
thanks again guys

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Ring RTA or vicroads or whatever you have and ask them if the engine has ever been changed.... I cant tell the differnece between a VR engine and a VP engine from the outside... does your chassis plates make reference to the engine?

aZk.

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
will give them a call when i get home this arvo. but the guy said he had changed it with the rta. should i attempt to get the previous engine number? or just asking if it has been changed>?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Why don't you go to a wrecker and ask can you look at the front of a V6 engine - have a good look at where the cam angle sensor fits and decide whether one will fit your current engine. If it looks like it will fit either grab one from the wreckers or buy a new one and fit it - wreckers will only want $20 or so for it so its a cheap way.
If the timing cover does have the hole machined for the sensor then its an even bet that the magnet is on the chain sprocket.....
The engine number or what car it came from is really just a side issue as without the sensor the car will always have that problem.....fit the sensor and the ECU gets its signal and hopefully all will be well. You may also find that the RTA will want you to pay for any information!

Haydz

Fasten your seatbelts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE LS1 T56
heres some pictures of what i have

Attachments

• cam angle.jpg
    cam angle.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,327
  • cam sensor.jpg
    cam sensor.jpg