Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cam Selction

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
So you guys reckon 276 crane is the best to go on stock comp......or do you have to up the comp?
what else can you do to 5ltrs before upping the comp or 355 stroker??

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
yeah, a 276 on stock comp, other things you can do? well, it depends on how far you wanna go, you could pull the heads off, get them shaved, big valves, dual plane intake manifold, extractors, zorst, remap the memcal, thats realy about it without touching the bottom end, and even so, all that should see some serious improvements

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
yeah, a 276 on stock comp, other things you can do? well, it depends on how far you wanna go, you could pull the heads off, get them shaved, big valves, dual plane intake manifold, extractors, zorst, remap the memcal, thats realy about it without touching the bottom end, and even so, all that should see some serious improvements

Currently....extractors,3inch mandrell bent system and high flow cat,3.45diff gears,exedy tough clutch,CAI,HSV memcal.

I think shaving the heads and big valves isnt worth it unless you planning to have 300kw up.

I want to get a dyno run before cam installation cars never had one at its current stage.

Cam install and custom tune with power output.

then like to get msd Coil 10mm spark leads.

And swap over my stock banana's for a starr manifold flowing 1200cmf not 560 standard.

hope to have the cam in with lifters valve springs and tuned for under 3000

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Currently....extractors,3inch mandrell bent system and high flow cat,3.45diff gears,exedy tough clutch,CAI,HSV memcal.

I think shaving the heads and big valves isnt worth it unless you planning to have 300kw up.

I want to get a dyno run before cam installation cars never had one at its current stage.

Cam install and custom tune with power output.

then like to get msd Coil 10mm spark leads.

And swap over my stock banana's for a starr manifold flowing 1200cmf not 560 standard.

hope to have the cam in with lifters valve springs and tuned for under 3000
The Starr manifold might flow that much but it doesn't change the length or diameter of the runners.

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
The Starr manifold might flow that much but it doesn't change the length or diameter of the runners.

So what do mean by that its still crappy compared to a dual plane?

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
go a come racing twin throttle and 284 camshaft man that will be the go...

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
Yeah, now that i see that you have gears and such, a 284 would be good, but one thing i wanna clear up here, usualy, those 10mm plug leads, are a waste of money, they only have a thicker isulation on them, they wont gove your plugs any more firing voltage, they just more resistant to heat, but that said, if you have the money to spend on them, and you like to give your eng a workout, then why not, but they wont make it go any better