Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Cameras, fines, etc. Need some help!

mazaa93

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Sv6
Got a few questions.
1. Well I was at an intersection, and the light went amber and I drove through it and it went red while I was somewhat at the very centre of the intersection. Thing is though, this intersection has a red light camera, and I'm wondering if their is a possibility that I was snapped? Didn't speed through it, initially was 5 under the limit then sped up to the limit to get through quicker, and stopping wasn't an option as their were cars right behing me.

2. Do the Hume Highway (wester ring road) cameras work? Last night I felt like giving my car a bit of a hammering, but not realising they were P2P cameras that measure how quick you were travelling between cameras, and not just a speed camera LOL.
Did some of my own research to an article that dates back to like September 2011 saying the cameras may or may not be switched back on due to inaccurate readings being detected.
My brother also speeds on there all the time and hasn't recieved a fine, but I'm still a bit paranoid over it.

3. How long does it take for a fine to come in the mail? Instead of being paranoid about it for the rest f my life, I want a deadline so I can be happy again LOLLL.

Thanks in advance to anyone who sheds some light on this situation of mine :)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
(1) They are called red light cameras for a reason,they only photo you if you break the beam AFTER the red light has come on.

(2)No idea

(3) Anything from 7 days to 12 months

RK5TAR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Manual
Red light camera activates once the light changes to red. There are two sensor lines in the intersection. Once the light is red and you cross the first sensor it takes a photo, and then another photo once you cross the other sensor further into the intersection. This eliminates you being fined if you happen to pull up a bit late but dont go through the intersection at all. All the pics are checked thoroughly before a fine is issued anyway.

No idea on the P2P cameras being on, I learned my lesson from a few fines and dont speed now.

Fines Ive found usually I receive within 3 weeks of getting snapped.

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
P2P in NSW are only for heavy vehicles (over 4.5t) I believe..

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
P2P being introduced in Brisbane. They were demonstrated and then turned off I believe.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Yes red light cameras will only snap you if you enter on red. It's still technically illegal to enter on amber if it's safe to stop though.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
P2P being introduced in Brisbane. They were demonstrated and then turned off I believe.

Last nights news, Bruce Highway northbound at Moby Vics overpass will be turned on today in time to get the Christmas rush to the north coast.

Bloody Jamie Dunn mentioned in one of his columns in the Sunny Coast Daily that you could simply go up the off ramp and down the other side, so apparently they have now installed more cameras on the on ramp.

And last week it was reported that someone had shot the camera from the south bound lane, If it was anyone on here I am happy to donate to your ammunition fund.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
If your talking about the Weatern ring road in Melbourne, the speed cameras are turned off in the road work areas.

SilverVH

Banned
Reaction score
lol wut???

Red light cameras in Melbourne are red light and speed cameras.

If you speed through the intersection on a green light, you will get done for speeding.
If you speed through an amber light to beat the red, you will get done for speeding.
If you drive through a red light, you will get done for running a red.
If you speed through the red light, you will get done for speeding and running a red.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
If your talking about the Weatern ring road in Melbourne, the speed cameras are turned off in the road work areas.
That's so sad as when i'm doing the speed posted everyone else is screaming past at twice the speeds. happen to me last night doing 80 and a car passed doing 20-30 more easily.

Speaking of P2P (sounds like torrents lol) i would love them as i see all to often cars pausing around places they feel camera's are then zooming off when feeling safe.