Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Can an LSD 'jam up' a wheel?

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Hey guys,
as the thread title says; "Can an LSD Jam up a wheel?"

I was giving the L67 a bit of a squirt this afternoon and felt a slight knock on the left hand side of the car coming from the rear...
Applied a bit more power to it from stand still and the left rear wheel started dragging. Pulled over and it has cut chunks of tread out of the tyre...

I chucked it into reverse then into drive and it un-jammed it... (lucky) I slowly cruised it back home but that knocking can be felt quite a bit even under very little throttle...

Cheers.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
youve probably smashed the spider gears is it noisey turning corners

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
sounds more like something in the brakes (park brake assembly) has let go and locked the wheel from turning.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
youve probably smashed the spider gears is it noisey turning corners

Yeah you can feel the knocking / grinding when doing right turns. When driving straight you can feel it ever so slightly

sounds more like something in the brakes (park brake assembly) has let go and locked the wheel from turning.

I'll put it on stands and pull the disc off and take a look now just to be sure

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Either way, you have broken something, ever inside the diff or brake assembly. Odd for a LSD to break spider gears unless the LSD was badly worn and it was single pegging....

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Either way, you have broken something, ever inside the diff or brake assembly. Odd for a LSD to break spider gears unless the LSD was badly worn and it was single pegging....

Yeah something is definitely broken.

I'll pull the disc off and check tomorrow afternoon.

To top it off, it was a fully reco'ed LSD with new cones etc etc etc and only have had it for just under a month.
Haven't really been pushing it that hard besides the odd launch or two. Didn't single spin at all.

If it is indeed the spider gears; I am surprised it let go in such a spectacular fashion. Didn't know that could happen lol

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Who reco'd the diff?

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Being a re-coed LSD I would suspect that its the brake or even the axle bearings. That is unless dodgy bros re-coed the diff of coarse.

tavrin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 L67
Who reco'd the diff?

Some diff shop in dandenong, forgot their name need to find the business card

Being a re-coed LSD I would suspect that its the brake or even the axle bearings. That is unless dodgy bros re-coed the diff of coarse.

Yeah it had new axle bearings, carrier bearings and pinion bearings so its strange, will be pulling the disc off this afternoon to confirm its got nothing to do with the handbrake shoes