Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car amps

coynie

Reaction score
Members Ride
08' VE Commodore
Ok my sub is 1200 watt, any amount of watts the amp should be?

You should be matching your amp (rms value) to your sub (rms value). Most models of both items should give you a value for this. So for a 400watt rms sub you should have an amp that amplifies up to that range. If you go a little bit under ( a few volts) it wont make a very big difference, go heaps under and you wont get the sound your sub 'could' be putting out. If you go higher you run the risk of destroying the sub. Hope that helps.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's actually better to buy an amplifier that makes a little more power than the subwoofer is rated to as it's harder to hear a distorting amplifier (clipping) than a distorting subwoofer (bottoming out).

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
It is a 12 inch poineer champion series. I was using a poineer class d monoblock amp

Matt Smith

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
If you go a little bit under ( a few volts) it wont make a very big difference, go heaps under and you wont get the sound your sub 'could' be putting out. If you go higher you run the risk of destroying the sub. Hope that helps.

Not entirely true, under powering a speaker can be more dangerous than over powering one. If you drive a 500 watt sub with 250 watt and push the amp into dc and clip you will take out the voice coil alot faster than running a 550-600 watt amp. DC/Clip is far more dangerous than over excursion.

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Single. The sub is about 3 years old

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
if its a single 4ohm coil, I'd get a bigger 2 channel amp to run it, something like the ReSponse 2x150watt from Jaycar.

Otherwise, to get a good amount of power into a single 4ohm sub will require a monoblock that does something like 2000watts at 1ohm.

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Alright cheers. I'll have a look into it

DAZ60L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
fusion 280 watt powerplants

Ok guys I have a set of fusion powerplant speakers 280watt...... Splits for the front doors and and 2 ways for rear doors in my ve.....all 280watts what sort of amp should I use and what power.... I'm looking at a 4 channel I know that but what type of amp and power should I look for

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Ok guys I have a set of fusion powerplant speakers 280watt...... Splits for the front doors and and 2 ways for rear doors in my ve.....all 280watts what sort of amp should I use and what power.... I'm looking at a 4 channel I know that but what type of amp and power should I look for

280 sounds like the combined handling left and right, 140rms either side from memory. So if you've been reading then a 4ch amp that offers a bit of headroom above that. Do you want me to link you to an amp that cost's $2500? It will do the job, otherwise if not, you need to be more specific about what you want to spend.