Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cat back or headers and hi flow cat

Urungarian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 2008
Hi guys and gals. New to the v8 seen, use to turbo Subarus

My question is and prob has been covered a million times. But I've been told the biggest restriction on a Ve ssv and alike that the intake system is the first thing to go( that will he happening with an otr)

The real question is should I go extractors and hi flow cats orrrrr a cat back exhaust??? Please bare in mind I don't care about having the v8 sound. Just want the most out of a tune.

So what's the most restrictive to get rid of first.

Cheers peoples

BROOKSBY

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV
I believe the most restrictive part was the airbox, I felt a difference in throttle response once changing to an vcm otr. catback i didn't notice any change besides the sound.

Also if you are going to get a tune done i'd make sure you have a full exhaust done. I am currently modding my 09 VE SSV i got back in October, I am running a VCM OTR with MAF (No tune needed, Mafless requires a tune) and have 3" xForce catback. I'll be doing extractors, high flow cats and tune around june/july.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi guys and gals. New to the v8 seen, use to turbo Subarus

My question is and prob has been covered a million times. But I've been told the biggest restriction on a Ve ssv and alike that the intake system is the first thing to go( that will he happening with an otr)

The real question is should I go extractors and hi flow cats orrrrr a cat back exhaust??? Please bare in mind I don't care about having the v8 sound. Just want the most out of a tune.

So what's the most restrictive to get rid of first.

Cheers peoples

to get the most out of the VE/Vf platform

1 7/8" headers, 3" highflow cats and twin 3" system

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Headers and cats because you are getting an OTR and tune anyway. Catback is not really important.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Headers and cats with what your doing as well will make the most performance difference

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To be fair, try putting a car on the dyno with the standard cat back, then replace it with a decent aftermarket one and you will see the difference. The rear mufflers are actually fairly restrictive, that's how to make the exhaust quiet. Even doing a before and after dyno run with just the rear mufflers removed will see a difference.

With any performance upgrade, it's never just one or two parts, it's a whole package. Change the intake and tune to get more out of it and you need to change the headers and cats. Changing them gets the gas going nice and fast, but the stock exhaust is choking it, so then you need to replace the cat back. The V8 sound is just a byproduct of having performance. Freeing up the exhaust makes it sound better.

You can do it in stages but you need to do the whole thing not just parts to get the best possible outcome.