Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Central Locking Key Repair - Pre-VS

C

CDMA0428

If you leave a key in the ignition with the ignition switched on for 1hr and 30 min, you can then start the car and drive it home ( it's in limp home mode). it doesn't work the second time within 30 hrs. once you switch it off thats it for 30 hrs or so.

With a full working key start the car switch it off again, within 30 sec insulate the key reader from the key contact (around the ignition) and the car should start and run.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
ok guys here you go ... the truth
the immobiliser will stay disarmed for about 30 seconds, thats why you could start the car, try it when the red light is flashing, it wont run.
the key will under no circumstances loose its coding with the battery removed
the contacts on the ignition barrel read the key in case the radio frequency section is dead, the contacts are also used to program the key.
the time out is provided to allow the car to be taken to get a new key programmed if it dies completely, it will work any number of times if the system re arms
Basically there is a good immobiliser system fitted to these cars.
try it out, let the system arm (red light flashing) insulate the contact & try to start it.
Vt has a different system it needs to read a good key to go

hope this clears up some mis-information

Rob

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Doctor Bob said:
hope this clears up some mis-information

And the truth shall set you free....

Thanks a lot for such a good follow up Doctor Bob, obviously even the Holden guys didn't know all of that stuff. It's good to get the drill on this at last.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
hey thanks for this! my button hasnt worked since i got the car n just cant be assed forkin out 2 get it fixed!! even i (clueless..) can do it! yay!

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
When I got my VR, it came with the original one button keyhead, and an after market 3 button one (2 Buttons did absolutly nothing lol), the 3 button one worked perfect and the originals battery is dead or somthin cause remote doesnt work, but it starts car etc. Then i got thrown in the pool with my good remote now its rooted, the only thing it does is manually open doors but it will not start car or anything, and i cant afford to fork out $80 for a new one, but i want my remote central locking back, is there any hope for it? or will all the components be rooted cause of the water?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
normally if it stops working when wet it will not come good.the only way is to get a new one & get it programmed to the car

Rob

Wong

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
hi all
anyone who know where can I make a new head keys for VT holden commondore
I live in liverpool and I went to holden cabrammatta they charger $128 dollars for new key. please Anyone who know where it cheap?
thanks

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey doctor Bob is there any way to programe a 3 button key for a vx yourself??? just brought the key off ebay for 35 bucks and then realised holden hhave to program it for another 90 bucks.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
Hey doctor Bob is there any way to programe a 3 button key for a vx yourself??? just brought the key off ebay for 35 bucks and then realised holden hhave to program it for another 90 bucks.

Sorry mate you cannot program the key yourself, it will need to be programmed.

Btw, where are you located at?