Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Checking your Computer for Faults (VN - VP)

dirk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
great advice. Now I know my idle problem isnt ECM or sensor related (?) as I got a 12.
Wondered if anyone has used limp home mode/ Read it needs a 3.6 o resistor between ground and diagnostic ie paper clip link. Is there a wire of particular length to do this, does it need a wire with a resistor made up.cheers

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
The computer can lie to you sometimes my mates vn never had any codes but was coughing and splutering aldl showed low coolant temp replaced coolant temp sensor still the same put new ecu in goes better than it has for years no problems.What sort of idle problems have you got mate.

dirk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
The computer can lie to you sometimes my mates vn never had any codes but was coughing and splutering aldl showed low coolant temp replaced coolant temp sensor still the same put new ecu in goes better than it has for years no problems.What sort of idle problems have you got mate.

Idle is rough - like its missing but intermittently across several cylinders. The plugs are all clean/perfect grey, its very economical on gas, and has heaps of power etc. It does have a sagging RH engine mount which makes it seem worse, but you can feel it when reving up under bonnet by moving throttle.

pr0n

It's A Me ' MARIO '
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY II S V6
everytime i check mine it comes up with 1 flash then a short pause then 2 flashes, so number 12, why would the light come on if it was fine? how do i remove it now?

PRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp s utility,and a KENWORTH
G'Day all
Ive been reading all the posts in this thread,my VP ute engine light comes on when i turn on the heater fan and goes off when i turn it off,we brought up the code for oxygen sensor,a mechanic said give it a good squirt down the highway which will clean it up,seemed to work a while but its back on again,i cleaned the heater fan fuse and it seemed to go with out too much trouble.
Phillip :wax:

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i tried this (didn't have to remove kick panel, aldl is just hanging there. someone before me must have liked it) and i definitely have the right plug because the engine fan kicks in, but the engine light flashes once. left it for a while and all it did was flash once. 10? anyone know what is happening?

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
i did it today worked well got code 12 I'm happy :)

mooandmumma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ S2 V8 Stato
Hey Guys quick question, just wondering if the way to check a VN/VP would be the same way to check a VQ? The engine light keeps coming and figured if they are the same it would be easier to check it this way rather than going to an autoelec...

5.0L UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE S3 5.0
can this method be used on vs series III v8