Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

common ecotec oil leak?

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
g'day i was giving my engine bay a clean, poked my head under the car and noticed a a lot of oil has been leaking out, which brings me to my question, what could it be doing this?
manifold gaskets are done.
rocker covers need a new gasket.
power steering leaks.

but i dont think they could be throwing out all this oil, so if any of you's could point me in the right direction would be great!
cheers.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
my power steering leaks ad it pumps out heaps of fluid and i always get a small puddle of fluid any where i leave the car for a few hours, but i am going to rebuild it tomoro so hopefully that will fix it. a rear main seal can leak a bit too and i usually drops oil from in between the back of the engine and the front of the gear box.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
yeah, this is more under the engine, mainly towards the front.

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
How tight is your oil filter? ... the oil pressure sendor?

otherwise, If it's not obvious... keep cleaning... clean the crap outta the engine bay, including areas around the oil fliter, engine mounts (they hate getting oil on em, so keep them tidy) chassis rails, and if you can get underneath with degreaser and a pressure washer, all around the sump and transmission.

Then, be thorough in checking it with a torch and mirror-on-a-stick after every drive.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
Could be your front crank seal. Pretty common. Not a big job.

cool, i'll take a peak!
and one of my pulleys are squealing like a pig, i was told of a way to tell which pulley was done, but i forgot.
so any help there? haha

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
noticed a lot of oil has been leaking out, which brings me to my question, what could it be doing this?

IBLOWN said:
Could be your front crank seal. Pretty common. Not a big job.

I can agree with IBLOWN, but that, to me, would be a weeping/slow leak. lots of oil to me, indicates a pressured leak??

PanthaVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pack SII
cool, i'll take a peak!
and one of my pulleys are squealing like a pig, i was told of a way to tell which pulley was done, but i forgot.
so any help there? haha

Take the belt off... and spin them by hand... should have NO noise at all... If they sound like rollerskate wheels or squeek...replace em!

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
With the engine running hold a long flat bladed screwdriver or similar against the head of the bolt. Put your ear to the other end of it. Basically works like a stethoscope and works a treat.
Cheers

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
check your oil pressure switch because sometimes they leak where the practic connects to the metal (you will know what I mean when you look at it)

But i'd be putting my bet on front crank seal if its coming from the front...

(sump gasket is also possible)
As mentioned before, get the car on ramps, clean it with degreaser and rags, go for a drive around the block and then check again and see where its starting to leak from...