Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Complete VN,VP,VR,VS,VQ,VG Headunit Guide [56k warning]

Blakie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94' VR Exec
Awesome guide, helped me heaps and saved me alot of time, took me only like 20 minutes to take the whole thing out after reading this guide :D, i only have an issue with the wiring, i know i need to convert but my radio connection is also wrong, it doesnt fit into the cd player i have now does anyone know how this can be fixed?, and i was just wondering, with the converting using the plug to bare wires, how is it done?

cheers for all the help this has saved me time and money! :p

OVA17

Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 VP EXECUTIVE
hey mate this is good if u got a half a day to do the install. or u can do the "commodore cut" (this is what they do at JB HiFi, Strathfield, Autobarn and NorthField do) where the 2 screws that hold the head unit in, the plastic gets cut out (with a air saw) in front of these 2 screws (does not make dash weaker and doesnt change apperance of dash). 10 times easier. and all it takes is 40mins to do. will get a pic of the dash next i have to apart which wil proberly be soon. well thats my 2cents

KADE

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
but it only takes me 25 minutes to install into one of these commodores. No cutting required. Guess that explains why we always charged more. We were more professional and refused to cut up a customers car.

Last edited:

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Jeezus, this is the first time I am looking at this guide, and here I thought that it will take 10 mins, man I miss my VL. Thanks for the guide though.

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Very good guide :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . I would like to add my 2c, as I was just removing my glovebox to clean it.

If your having trouble with the holding pin find an allan key or something that will fit which is bent at 90 degree's. Then go to the other side of the holding pin (closest to the center console) and stick the end of the allan key up against the end of the pin (best way is to come from bottom/side). Then all I had to do was give it a few bangs with my palm (or you can use a very small hammer) and the pin pops out. I'll take some photo's if you need any more help :)

Atreidae

(Was an) Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SIDI
Cutting dash boards for a quicker fit?? installers like that were one of the reasons i left expert... i can get everything required for a stereo fit of a vn/vp in under 5 mins... 8 minutes including front speaker pods in a VR/VS whats taking them so long?

VEARGH

"Stop,Drop..KaboOm.*
Reaction score
Members Ride
v_R
hey, do any of you guys know if toyota lexcen and vr-vs have the same wiring colours?

DJT_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR and VT Exec (sedans)
Ok Ok, I'm a bit freaked out too by all the unscrewing and pulling/pushing of grey plastic bits... About the CUTTING.

To the experts (and you truley are), can I save some time and fidling by just inserting a saw and cutting the existing mounting screws? off??? and pulling it straight out?

I mean, for you guys the RIGHT way is a snack, but for us time poor, 5 thumbed idiots with nagging wives and kids that steal screws,,,, open to options.

Either way,, this is a great post with loads of details. Much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
what? why would you want to cut the screws off? surely that would take longer?