Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer build advice

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hi guys and gals, I can't make up my mind, so I'm looking for some opinion.

Currently I'm running a i5-2500k overclocked to 4.5Ghz, on a Asrock Z68-Pro3, 4GB 1600 RAM, just got a R9 280X, Silverstone 600w PSU, etc.

Now I am wondering if it is time to upgrade to a new Skylake CPU. There is currently nothing wrong with my 2500k, but what do you guys think about in terms of future proofing?

I pretty much only play games, hence why I upgraded from a 6950 to a R9 280X last week.

I'm torn, do I upgrade now, or do I wait until something in this computer shits itself, then upgrade?

All opinions welcome.

mark7

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE V8 Calais V/ 08 VE Omega
I would hold fire until something goes wrong. I would be looking at new mobo/CPU and ram (and a nice SSD if you don't have already) when things start going haywire. If you are ok with not having the latest and best then no need to as I see it.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Wait till it blows up. You can't future proof technology. 1 yr ago and look how far things have come already.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
your cpu wont be the limiting factor in games, it'l be your video card. Adding another 4gb of ram for 8gb total should get you another 3-4 fps atleast. But upgrade the video card if the fps isn't enough.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My bad, I definitely have 8GB of RAM. Typo.