Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer Monitor As A Screen Output

Discussion in 'Car Audio' started by 92 VP CALAIS, Apr 10, 2011.

1. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    G'day everyone,

I am have been trying to wire a computer monitor as a video output
    out of my headunit and it has been giving me endless hassles and
    so I thought I would post with the hope someone would have some
    experience in this area. I purchased a computer monitor as it has the benefits of costing less and being slimmer than a TV screen. I have a pioneer headunit with video output and have purchased a "Digitech Video to VGA Converter" to convert the VGA signal to RCA but I have had no luck in being able to receive a signal on the monitor. All I want to do is mirror what is on the headunit onto the monitor. I have no problems with the power supplies or anything, I just need some help/hints as to what i am doing wrong.

Thanks for your help.

2. acarmody

acarmody Donati..Whoa Green

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    What model H/U?

3. AmmoJammo

AmmoJammo New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Wagon
    what converter are you using? got a link?

4. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    I wouldn't think a converter would be needed to go from Component (Yellow) to VGA. Maybe from VGA to RGB.

5. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    Some more info guys;

The headunit is a Pioneer AVH-P5250BT
    The converter is a Digitech XC-4873
    The specifications can be found here;
    Telesound online store - XC4873 Component Video to VGA Converter
    And acarmody, I am fairly sure you do need to convert the
    RCA signal to a VGA signal, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

6. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Wow the Pioneer manual for this unit is completely useless, doesn't give a wiring diagram or anything.

Well theoretically you should be able to plug the RCA out from the H/U to the composite input of the converter than plug that into the monitor and it should work.

Apparently there is an option menu somewhere in the H/U to select what you want displayed on the output, make sure its not set to 'Off'.

7. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    I have the wiring diagram if you need to know something off it acarmody, and yes, theoretically it should work but it doesn't :( And I did read about that option and had it off but I didn't have any luck with that either. The computer monitor should work the same as any other screen output shouldn't it?
    And if so, how would you wire something such as a screen in a headrest to the headunit? Just in case I am doing it wrong :s

8. acarmody

Members Ride:
    VX Berlina
    Just to eliminate some items, have you got a small tv or something that has component (yellow, red, white) inputs? Wire the H/U directly into it, yellow ouyput wire into yellow input on TV. If that doesn't work than its the H/U.

If it does work, than use a different monitor that you know works, have it powered off a normal 240v socket in your garage or something, if that work than it the monitor, if it doesn't than its the converter.

9. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    Yeh, I'm thinking I'm going to need to try it with a TV, I know that the monitor works as it is brand new and I have tested it as an output from a laptop. And when I tried the monitor, I had it plugged into a 240V source along with the converter so I know the power supply was no issue, there is just something with the signal so I may have to try a TV.

10. Vt-Brrrlina

Vt-Brrrlina vp bt1 gts replica

Members Ride:
    vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
    Powered by Google Docs

looks like theres a rear monitor and front monitor switch on page 4... take a gander at that.. maybe something simple.. hope so anyway.. looks like an awesome stereo how much it set u back?

11. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Prado
    Never mind....

12. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    I guess you don't realise Pioneer head units have an operation manual and an installation manual. It's not the manual that's useless :p

It might be easier to connect the monitor and converter to a home DVD player composite output. To test that those two items are working. If they do, then find a small TV and connect it to the head unit like others have mentioned.

How are you powering the monitor and converter? Do you have a power inverter?

Set the rear monitor output to "FRONT" in the menu.

13. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    Thanks Vt-Brrrlina, It set me back a bit over a grand around 6 months ago, it's a ripper unit.

Thanks StoneX, some great advice, I am using a power inverter to power the monitor and converter, but as I said above, i powered them using a 240V source while I was fiddling. And whereabouts do you set the rear monitor to "FRONT" mate?

Cheers.

14. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    I'm not sure where the setting is located off the top of my head... It's listed in the operation manual as I saw it today.

You can have problems running items from 240v connected to car equipment. Do the checks that we've described above, then it would be best to check the equipment in car with the inverter rather than external 240v.

15. AmmoJammo

AmmoJammo New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Wagon
    the headunit probably outputs a resolution that the VGA monitor can't display, and the converter box you have doesn't change the resolution to one the monitor supports.

16. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    Thanks for the help guys, the other night I had another go at trying to figure this problem out. I set up the monitor, converter and a DVD player. After a long time of fiddling with settings and wires a so on, I was able to get sound through the converter but I could not get any image using the RCA leads. I then tried using component leads from the DVD player instead and it did work!? I don't know if this means the converter is faulty or what because I cant understand why the component leads should work but the yellow RCA doesn't as from what I understand, the yellow RCA is pretty much the three components in one lead?
    And thanks for the reply AmmoJammo, but the converter box does change the resolution and you are manually able to change it through the options menu, I have tried changing this but it still does not work.

17. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    Is there an option to choose between composite (Yellow) and component (Red, Green, Blue) inputs? That's all I can think of...

18. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    I don't believe there is StoneX, I've read through the instructions and fiddled with settings but I couldn't find anything.

19. 92 VP CALAIS

92 VP CALAIS New Member

Members Ride:
    1992 VP Calais
    Time for an update guys.

Over the weekend, I went to return the converter as I thought it must be faulty but I decided to mock the converter, monitor and DVD player one more time. I went through all the settings on the converter and monitor but had no luck once again. I then had a look at the DVD player and pressed a button labeled "Progressive" which gave me a picture on the monitor using the RCA cables!! I think that this button must change the output signal from the DVD player. This makes me think that there must be a setting I need to change from the headunit to enable an extra screen to run. Any help would be much appreciated guys

The head unit is a Pioneer AVH-P5250BT as mentioned above.

Thanks guys

20. StoneX

StoneX New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais-V 6.0L
    Just call Pioneer. They have a call center/help line and the people will be able to tell you what needs to be done to turn the video output on.