Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

condensation buildup in vh - vk headlight

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
has anyone else had - have the same issue with aftermaket headlights? about a year ago ive replaced my headlight with a aftermarket unit on my VH wagon as the adjuster clips were perished, couldn't find new ones at the time and the chrome on the bucket was a bit dull plus over all the headlight backing was looking a bit worse for wear so i thought just to replace the whole unit with an aftermarket unit

the new unit was fine on the car for about a week until condensation buildup started on the lens, and ever since it has been wet inside of it.

the wagon is always garaged and hardly ever go out in the rain, sometimes it parked in the garage for months between drives but the aftermarket light still stays wet

took the headlight out today, hoping to fix it with a genuine lens, the moister just poured out of it and the adjuster bucket is quite rusted from all the moister, why?

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
has anyone else had - have the same issue with aftermaket headlights? about a year ago ive replaced my headlight with a aftermarket unit on my VH wagon as the adjuster clips were perished, couldn't find new ones at the time and the chrome on the bucket was a bit dull plus over all the headlight backing was looking a bit worse for wear so i thought just to replace the whole unit with an aftermarket unit

the new unit was fine on the car for about a week until condensation buildup started on the lens, and ever since it has been wet inside of it.

the wagon is always garaged and hardly ever go out in the rain, sometimes it parked in the garage for months between drives but the aftermarket light still stays wet

took the headlight out today, hoping to fix it with a genuine lens, the moister just poured out of it and the adjuster bucket is quite rusted from all the moister, why?

Yes

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Yeah I had the same problem with the after market lights I had in my ole VK most of the time I had them I had the caps of the back drying them out while driving, the reflectors in them weren't much chop either I liked the genuine headlights better but they were near impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Last-Rites

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 202 Auto NOS Rat Rod Wagon
There isn't much you can do as they aren't a completely sealed unit from both glass and backside of course. My suggestion would be to pull it apart and clean everything. Then red scotchie (paint section at Bunnings like a steel wool rag basically) and scotchie all the steel parts that keep getting rusty. Then paint them a colour of your choice remembering any electrical parts need to make good contact still.

It might be a bit of mucking around and trial and error but I would give it a shot.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
There isn't much you can do as they aren't a completely sealed unit from both glass and backside of course. My suggestion would be to pull it apart and clean everything. Then red scotchie (paint section at Bunnings like a steel wool rag basically) and scotchie all the steel parts that keep getting rusty. Then paint them a colour of your choice remembering any electrical parts need to make good contact still.

It might be a bit of mucking around and trial and error but I would give it a shot.
yeah paint not a problem, worked at a spray painting place in the early 90's for 4 years, ill paint the housing with chrome paint as the rust went on the plastic on the bottom im thinking getting my original adjuster bucket rechromed

the past two days the car been out in the rain (seeing dad for a few days) still hasnt build up condensation since ive put the genuine glass on the after market housing, must be the after market glass for some reason

thanks guys for your replies