Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Change

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Funny gear coolant, because some manufacturers specify a particular red coolant for their engines. I know Toyota a few years ago needed a specific red and that only maybe one aftermarket brand was suitable.

It's same now with Mitsubishi, they specify a specific type, not sure what colour but it's not something you just buy from SCA. I assume there must be a specific additive that only some brands have to suit certain makes, and if you use something else you risk getting corrosion due to it not having the right additive for that certain type of alloy.

A few years ago Nulon red covered a wide range of makes and models, sounds like it wasn't suitable for the GM engines though?
I’ve used Nulon Red many times

TayTay

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore Omega “Lumina”
You can’t completely flush the coolant because of the location of the thermostat in a V6 Alloytec.

Just use red Penrite.

If it’s because you got the coolant on the cheap, you don’t want to know about the cost when things mix and go wrong.
It isn’t because I got it cheap at all. I was just reading about the Purple and was just enquiring…

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Holden red
If no problems 5Yr service

Last edited:

Paul Water

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I just changed mine and ran the recommended Dexcool in it. Then there's no confusion as to whats in it.