Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Correct Reverse parking and 3 Point turn?

Jamie-b

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
It's been quite a while since I did my P's test, so the "curriculum" may have changed, but as I recall reverse parking wasn't a part of it when I did it.

Did you do it in NSW? Because all of my mates that have done the test said thatas what they have to do..

I want to get a lesson but like i said there is no driving instructors in my town..

After ive got my P's i want to do one of those driving courses, bcause driving is somthing im actually interested in..

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
when driving make sure you use your Rear vision mirror all the time (when i went for my lesson just before my test the instructor told me dont worry about the side mirrors just check the rear vision mirror every 10 or so seconds, before braking check the mirror while braking check the mirror while stopped check the mirror) to me it seems pointless to check the mirror while stopping and when your about to stop. generally speaking you need to stop for a good reason and whether you have a person behind you or not wont matter it's about the car in front stopping or the lights that are turning red that is the problem.

also make sure you don't Dry-Steer (what i mean by this is when you are doing the 3pt turn, while the car is stationery between turn points DO NOT steer - i got warned about that too) make sure your moving when you steer in the 3pt turn

as the instructor said, thank god for dry steering because it's useful but damn the instructors cause they mark you down for it.

when stopped leave the car in gear (if it's manual) with the clutch depressed (so you dont stall obviously)

best thing to do is go for a test about 1hour before your P's Test, just to refresh the memory and to ask any questions.

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
Maybe you could ring Vicroads and have a chat with them about it, also they may be able to help you with instructors in your area.
When parallel parking, I would say that you would indicate left as you are pulling over and leave the indicator on at least until you are in the parking spot, it will more than likely click off as you correct and move forward and back.
With a 3 point I think you should indicate left when you pull over and then once you are ready to start your turn, change to the right indicator. Unless it is a very tight street dont worry about using driveways etc and one backward movement should give you plenty of room.
This from memory is just what I do when I park/turn, I dont know if this is actually correct (after more than 10 years habit admittedly are not also the correct way of doing things, like hands at 10 to 2, never happens) but common sense is the main thing, show them you are a safe driver.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Did you do it in NSW? Because all of my mates that have done the test said thatas what they have to do..

I want to get a lesson but like i said there is no driving instructors in my town..

After ive got my P's i want to do one of those driving courses, bcause driving is somthing im actually interested in..

Yup, NSW.

Parallel parking is when you park alongside (parallel to) the kerb, reverse parking is what you do in a shopping centre (for example) where you reverse into a parking spot.

What you do in the test (or at least what I did) was reverse parallel parking (ie on the street, parking between two cars at the kerb)