Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crewman ? re weight and fuel , commodore comparo?

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Hi all.
I'm new here, so please forgive my dumb question.

I've been contemplating getting a 6 speed manual v6 Crewman. I don't need a 4x4. and cant afford a 4x4 dual cab.

I read a lot about the Crewman being really bad on fuel. Main reasons listed is because the extra weight and the 3.6 V6 is a bit gutless. I thought the VZ wagon go ok. Not a speed monster but ok cruising about at the normal speed limits and a bit over.

Well what I'm wondering is.

Caradvice Specs say the Crewman weighs only 110kg more than a VZ wagon. So if its the weight that causes the so called bad fuel consumption in the Crewman, then if a VZ wagon had say 3 adults in the wagon then wouldn't the wagon and Crewman use about the same amount of fuel? due to the weight being very close.

The other question relating to fuel is.
Some specs say the Auto uses less fuel than a 6 speed manual. Is this correct? I can't imagine how?

I had a sit in the back and thought, Mmmm wouldn't want to sit in there for a few hrs. But it will be rare anyone will be back there, but the odd need for that would be a good feature. I need a long car/ute to carry 6.5m long ocean racing skis on top. So most of my driving is on the highway. With not much weight on, just the skis and kayaks on top and water gear in the back

Last one
Sitting on 100/110kmh driving on highways what is a manual really like on fuel?

Thanks for any feedback
Cheers
Rudi

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
rudi

I can confirm that the 6 cylinder Crewman was extremely uneconomical compared to a Commodore wagon. Whilst their weight may not have been much greater, I suspect the final drive ratio was lower, leading to higher revs at any given speed. When I was employed by the Police Department we were supplied with a VY Crewman which I drove regularly. It was a very thirsty beast compared to a Commo sedan (remember it only had the 3.8 Ecotec in the VY, but the VZ was worse because of its lower torque specs).

The other criticism of the Crewman was that the rear seat was really far too upright for comfort and was best suited either to small children only, or adults over short distances.

Your question about the economy of a manual really depends on final drive ratio rather than the fact that it's a manual. At 100/110 in a VY/VZ sedan, the engine would only be doing around 1600 - 1800 RPM, depending on the diff ratio. Top gear in both the auto and the manual would have been approximately the same, so their economy figures at a constant cruising speed would be comparable. The diff ratios might have been different for auto and manual, depending on the version of the car. An SV6, being a sports model, might have a lower ratio (ie higher number) diff than an auto or Crewman, to assist acceleration. The lower the diff ratio number, in theory, the slower the acceleration but higher the top speed.

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Thanks Calaber
So if I was to put the same diff from a commodore into a crewman it might help? Car advice say the Commy and Crewman use the same 3.08 ratio. I'm think the Storm Crewman and Executive Commodre, povety pack.
The reason why I ask about the manual is
My work ute was a Colorado dual cab 4x4 and I drove it like I stole it (wrong person to be saying that too :) ) Always 10Lper 100. In fact it averaged slightly more driving at 90 than 100/110. 580km/620 before light cam on, mostly hwy ks.
Now the work ute is a Auto Ranger 4x4 dual cab. Its **** on fuel. Even driving it like a grandpar trying to save the worlds fuel supplies and holding everyone else up so they don't make it through the lights. 11.5Lper100. Drive it normal to the speed limits (110kmh) and its 13.5. Going from Launceston to Hobart. Drive it like I stole it, same as the Colly and I see 20Lper100. I'm glad I don't pay for the fuel. It wastes so much energy between gear changes, like its slipping a manual clutch feeling/sounding

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So if I was to put the same diff from a commodore into a crewman it might help? Car advice say the Commy and Crewman use the same 3.08 ratio.

No, as there is a front diff you have to worry about as well.

If you're after an AWD wagon, look at an Outback or something. Minor mods can increase their off road ability heaps (just look it up on Youtube).

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No, as there is a front diff you have to worry about as well.

If you're after an AWD wagon, look at an Outback or something. Minor mods can increase their off road ability heaps (just look it up on Youtube).

RJK.

He's talking about a Crewman, not a Cross4 or Avalanche. RWD only in Crewman.

@rudi

3.08 was more of an economy ratio. I'm not sure of the other ratios used at that time but 3.36 or thereabouts would improce accelleration with a slight loss of economy.

If you raise the ratio to around 2.78, cruising economy would improve but it would be pretty tough on the clutch getting off the mark.

It really depends on what type of driving you do most and what sort of loaded weight the vehicle is.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
He's talking about a Crewman, not a Cross4 or Avalanche. RWD only in Crewman.

For some reason I was picturing and Adventura. :/

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Yep rear wheel drive.
No need for AWD.
When you drove them for the Force. What transmissions?
Type of driving is. I live in a small country town and drive 30ks to city and dont spend much time there. The rest of time driving to river to go kayaking or to beach to go ocean ski paddling/surfing. So not motorway, just normal secondary highway, country roads.
driving at speed limit.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The only transmission the department uses for general purpose vehicles was the 4 speed auto. I was attached to a command within the Newcastle urban area so the driving was almost exclusively suburban - never as heavy as a large city like Sydney but not much different, On country use it would have been better.

Admittedly, it was used by the cops a fair bit and they could have driven it harder. I wasn't a Police Officer and was therefore never involved in urgent duty. Strictly speed limit stuff for me. The vehicle was never heavily loaded and when I drove it, it was generally only with one additional person at best.

If you asked me whether I would ever choose to own one, the answer would be a firm no. I think a VY or VZ wagon would be a much better choice for that sort of money.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
V6 Crewman weighs 70kgs less than my Statesman and I easily dip into the 7s/100klms. Drive it normally whenever you don't want to use excessive fuel and it'll look after you -especially being a six-speed. Drive it like a racecar and it'll hurt the wallet like any big car.

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Thanks
I hope some car yards will let me do 100k trials