Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cruise Control and Check Drivetrain Warning

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
07 VZ Wagon.

Cruising with cruise control on when I get the Check Power Train warning along with the bells and whistles.
Checked oil, coolant, belt, engine not hot, all good so drove on.
Got to destination, disconnected battery for 10 minutes, reconnected battery, and warning gone.
Obviously computer reset.
Now I have had the same thing happen with another VZ so anyone have any idea why this happens and should I be concerned.
This is the first time in this car and I have owned it for 18+ months.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Assuming you have an Alloytec V6. Check the oil pressure sender for oil leakage by disconnecting the wiring plug and checking for oil inside the connector. It's a very common fault with the Alloytec. The sender is probably stuffed because an internal seal fails and oil is able to enter the sender circuitry and set off the warnings.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Assuming you have an Alloytec V6. Check the oil pressure sender for oil leakage by disconnecting the wiring plug and checking for oil inside the connector. It's a very common fault with the Alloytec. The sender is probably stuffed because an internal seal fails and oil is able to enter the sender circuitry and set off the warnings.

Thanks for that, yes, alloytec, sender and connector clean as, no oil, back to the drawing board.
Oddly enough, both cars did it on the same highway within about 1 k of each event, after leaving the servo and giving it a quick boot to get up to speed.
Have to have a look around the area for little people in purple suits next time I go to Brisbane.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Update,
coming down the highway this morning, first time on the highway since I posted on Nov 11th, did not stop at servo, but 5 k's past servo, up comes the bells and whistles and "check powertrain" on dash.
The area this occurs in is about 20 minutes from Mooloolaba and 40 minutes from my Brisbane stop, so not even distance related.
Only other thing I know is there are some very large mobile phone towers on the mountain behind the servos.
Maybe just maybe there is some interference in this area.
I am definitely going to go slower in this area this afternoon, and look for little people in purple suits.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have you checked for codes?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I have disconnected the battery and reset the computer, so will any codes still show up ?

edit..No worries, spoke to nephew who tells me codes will still be there

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Update
Mechanic scanned the car and the only code he said might be a problem is "left front wheel speed sensor",
however, he suggested changing oil pressure switch first as they can sometimes play up intermittently, so do that today and take it down the highway next weekend.
Checked with suppliers and found speed sensor is part of the hub and range from $126 Repco to $266 at Holden.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Update
Fitted new oil pressure switch, reversed car onto road, turned it around and reversed it back into garage and got "check powertrain warning"
Oh well, back to mechanic.

Update yet again
OK now Thursday, left message on mechanics phone Tuesday but no call back so spoke to nephew who did his apprenticeship on these VZ's and he has suggested instead of spending money, simply remove hub and clean wheel speed sensor, so will do that Saturday.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yet another update Tuesday
Mechanic never phoned me back so I borrowed a scanner from a neighbor and cleared everything.
Now when I start the car, it still gives me "check powertrain warning" and this time the code is P0521 Engine oil pressure sensor range confirmed, which is a bit odd considering I replaced the oil pressure switch a week ago, although it is a repco switch, so might put the old switch back in or get one from holden and give the present switch back to repco.
Any suggestions.

Last edited: