Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Desoldering Troubles.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Ok so as the title says, I have been having trouble with desoldering some components lately.
I would not say I am a 100% expert with soldering, but have a good working knowledge and also a very good skill level in soldering and desoldering.

Now here is my problem.
There is a small component I am trying to desolder from a PCB. it has 4 legs that go through the PCB and are soldered from the backside. I have been able to remove most of the solder using a few techniques and also using solder wick after said techniques.
What is happening is, there is always a tiny bit of solder left making a connection, this is not allowing me to pull the item through. It cannot be done one at a time as all 4 are from the component which is flush mounted on the other side.

I have used a few different tips to see if it would make any difference and it hasn't.
also looking at another stage in the fix (its for a portable speaker) and it appears some of the work needs a really fine tip (current smallest is a 1mm). any suggestions on a smaller tip?

any info that could help would be great.

Edit:
May have to use a desoldering iron that heat and suck at the same time.
also having a look I'll definitely have to use a finer tip for putting it back in, might have to check the other irons to see which is the finest.

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Ive found that you need a real good soldering iron with a good heat and a desoldering plunger thingie

image.php

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Would a third hand help?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ive found that you need a real good soldering iron with a good heat and a desoldering plunger thingie

image.php
yep one of these
Also found leverage, something thin to wedge under the component and lift at same time as desoldering and sucking lol

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Thanks for that guys.
I should explain, I do have a portable bench vice so everything is nicely locked into place while working on it.
but yeah relooking over it all a proper desoldering iron (that has the sucker built in) that can actually heat and suck at the same time would be the go. Have a feeling my iron isn't quite thin enough to get in the spot (even though its a 1mm tip, its not shaped to work too well), so will have to play with that.

might have to look at one of the solder suckers to give it a go, otherwise I do possibly have access to the desoldering iron and also the ability to do it under a magnifying glass with light.

probably should take take a photo, but to explain the sizing, take a 5c piece, half it and within that space is about 12+ solder joints. so its very much small electronics being played with. wish there was some more room haha.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
for **** like that, I'll heat and push on the pin, moving it a smig. Then repeating the other pins, then doing it again until you've worked it out of the pcb

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
for **** like that, I'll heat and push on the pin, moving it a smig. Then repeating the other pins, then doing it again until you've worked it out of the pcb
That's exactly what I did yesterday, removing a stuffed 6 pin pot from a sub circuit board.
As not having any braid or a sucker, you gotta do what you can do.