Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Driven By Shine

Reaction score
Website
www.drivenbyshine.com.au
Members Ride
VY Wagon on 20's
Chris, very nice work! Was that done with a rotary or orbital or both? Also whats your choice of pads?

I think you already know the answer...but Ill answer anyway

Rotary all the way with the RO just as a last step with 85RD to make sure they was no buff marks in sight. An RO would have taken forever if at all to remove those imperfections, and you should have seen the sides LOL

I only use the RO these days to finish dark cars with soft paint, Ive had a good run lately and got thru a XR8, MX5 and Range Rover all Black and not needed the RO.

My goto pads are the Wolfgang 7.5" pads on the rotary and the Wolfgang 6.5" pads on the RO I also have the Wolfgang 4" pads for tight spots on the rotary. Then if things arnt going to well I have the Edge 8" pads, 3M black and white waffle pads and Meguires 8" wool, red cutting and white finishing I also have the Edge duofoam pads for the RO

Calaiscruzin

Glass is actually quite hard to get right. its hard to explain but you basically need to clean the crud off, polish all the film and residue off and then remove the smears left behind.

Clean cloths id the key not really the products.

You can try newspaper and glass cleaner, the newspaper print acts as a polish, just dont let it get to wet maybe a new sheet every piece of glass. you have to play with it to get it right.

Chris

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I had a similar problem wth glass until I started using microfibre cloths and the blue windex for glass. As far as the interior goes I go over everything including the leather with a damp rag and a bucket of hot washing powder. I then do the leather with Meguiars leather conditioner.

Driven By Shine

Reaction score
Website
www.drivenbyshine.com.au
Members Ride
VY Wagon on 20's
Sorry I didnt answer this one.

Leather cleaning I use the "magic erasures" they are made by Chux, Balbo and many others they are awesome and quick like a clay bar for the interior.

One of these and some all purpose cleaner.......be careful they are a fine abrasive so dont rub to hard just wipe a few times gently, then use a leather conditioner I have Poorboys leather stuff and Zaino Leather in a bottle both good but different.

Chris

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Is Leon Archer still around? Leon, please show us some of your handywork.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
thanx guys for that, but is there a good alternative for armor all interior protectant to get it shiny? i like the shine it leaves, but i think it's ruining the wood trim in the car 'spewin'

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
thanx guys for that, but is there a good alternative for armor all interior protectant to get it shiny? i like the shine it leaves, but i think it's ruining the wood trim in the car 'spewin'
Instead of armour all I use Meguiars trim detailer, doesnt leave a greasy sheen on the surface.

VZCrispey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Cleaning - Advice

Hi Lish/everyone

When cleaning my black trim areas and the interior dash, I've had quite good results using a cheap shoe polish applicator - no chemicals as such, it's just a spongy grey block that you rub over the area to revitalise it. I'm not sure whether there's a dry chemical baked into the sponge, but it seems to work!

Lish, what do you reckon about this kind of treatment? I keep it in my glovebox and it's literally a 30-second brush over to make the black trimming look less dull and more glossy.

I also sometimes use Kitten Interior Cleaner (foam) for upholstery and other stains in the car, but am sometimes weary to apply it to some areas (like the interior ceiling and carseat upholstery)...Lish, is this kind of stuff ok to use anywhere inside the car?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Is Leon Archer still around? Leon, please show us some of your handywork.

He has been gone a while. Doubt he is detailing his car though, he would have been back in a couple of hours :D

C.

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
hey guys jus experimented a bit on the glass, and found newspaper and glass cleaner works well, but to get rid of streaks, dry glass and buff with clean, dry sheet of newspaper. thanx for ya help ladies n gentleman