Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Detailing Tips & Tricks....

Discussion in 'General' started by Lish, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    awesome, thanks mate.

is there anything (household/workshop items) that i could use to get the excess off in the mean time, im planning to make a big order with CCP next month, but obviously i dont want this polish just baking on...

2. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    Simple green have an APC that you can get from bunnings and works pretty well (dilute it, even though you can get it in a trigger pack). You might have some limited success with dishwashing detergent at a pinch for the trim - or those chux magic erasers come in handy for smaller textured areas - just be gentle with them though as they are abrasive. You can even use a normal pencil eraser if it's just a small area, again with light pressure - wouldn't use any of these options on paint though.

For painted areas, use APC and a soft brush for around badges and tighter, painted areas. Cotton tips are handy as well. Obviously, it will strip wax from the paint, so you'll need to rewax.

3. Andreas

Andreas Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2000 VS III V6 ute
    Wow lots of good information here.
    I have one for you Lish. My dog bailey rides up front in the ute with me, problem is his hair.
    Vacuuming the carpet and set covers is a pain still leaves hair and I have used compressed air gun to blow it out :) Is there any solution bar a super high suction cleaner?
    Regards.
    Andreas.

4. TinSnips

TinSnips Polish all the things...

Members Ride:
    VF SSV Ute
    A carpet brush and/or pet hair brush are going to be your best friends for that job. Pet hair brushes are rubber and will cling to the dog hair (particularly longer hair) better to lift it out of the pile or weave to make it easier for the vac. A carpet brush is a thick, fairly stiff bristled brush that will work well with sand as well (so will an air gun). Neither is expensive, so it pays to have both.

5. daine042

daine042 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 Sedan
    Just gave my sv6 a good detail took 6 hours and a lot of beer haha i used the meguiars quik clay kit after i washed it then hit it with 2 layers of meguairs tech wax 2.0 and its really got a shine i recommend it highly

6. aussieakito

aussieakito Gold Certified Tech

Members Ride:
    Manual VY SS2 HBD, VT Wagon
    I had that on my calais, only 10 times worse, spent 10 minutes with silver polish (Silvo) and some water came up like new :)

7. toey@carfx

toey@carfx Detailing Junkie

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    first hit it with an acid based wheel cleaner. it may need a few hits to break down the carbon build up. then as tinny said some white spirits to remove baked on tar. next some autosol with 0000 grade steel wool. this will put fine scratches in the chrome but it will get rid of the baked on carbon spots. finally go over the lot with some purple polish as tinny said.

8. Cutloose

Cutloose New Member

Members Ride:
    Vr ss
    Hey guys.

Im looking for a good car polish for my car (white car). I normal use auto gem polish, but the car still ends up with some cloudy dull spots over it that I just cant seem to get out. Manly on the roof boot lid and bonnit

Not sure if I should use a clay block or some sort of paint cleaner.
    The cars a 94 vr ss so the paints getting old, just want to get it to shine like it use to.

Cheers

9. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    you really need to machine polish it to remove the oxidisation. doing it by hand will take for ever and give uneven results. for about $400 you can buy a das6 polisher with the polish samples and pads, which with a bit of time you will get the results you seek. car care products also have a detailing clinic coming up down that way on the 28th of this month which covers all you will need to know to use a random orbital polisher, give them a call to see if they have any spots left, for memory its $40-50?.

ps, whenever polishing you should clay the paint first as any bonded contaminates will come off with the polish and then get rubbed all over the paint putting more marks into the paint

10. NVE_069

NVE_069 New Member

Members Ride:
    Wh Statesman LS1
    Not sure if I missed it, but before I decide to replace them, is there any way to remove water stains off chrome trims. All my door window chromes have it. Did try a polish autobarn sold me but did nothing but waste $35. My windows also have the same issue.

Cheers.

11. aj159

aj159 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS CALAIS
  12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Coal Miner

Members Ride:
    VE SSV Redline 2012
    ^^^ nice troll ;)

13. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    for the chrome trims i would mask up the rubbers around them then hit it with californian customs purple polish. for the glass duragloss nuglass. both are availible from car care products. to stop this happening in the future, dont let the car dry naturally when washing it and try not to let it get too dirty beween washes so if it rains there is bugger all to etch into the surfaces when it dries

14. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    swissvax opaque range is what you want but its not cheap

15. Nut Kracker

Nut Kracker (Nucifrangibulum)

Members Ride:
    VT SS 304ci (195i) 2011 Cruze SRi-V 1.4L Turbo
    Hi ya all,
    I've use "Fire Glaze" car polish for 15 years and found it to be excellent. I wont use anything else. A panel beater/spray painter at my old work put me onto it. It's very hard to get in the shops. As a matter of fact, I've never seen it in a shop.... Most sales people say "Fire what? Sorry never heard of it".
    It is available online though.
    Has anyone used this product or had any experience with it?
    Just interested to know your thoughts.

16. uniacidz

uniacidz Harden the Frak Up

Members Ride:
    VX SS 5.7L
    I have. In fact i mention it in my build thread.
    Currently over the weekend put on two coats of it and took some piccies. Below is a sample pic.
    It seems ok, ppl rave about it but ppl rave bout many things.
    Im still so so bout it

[​IMG]

17. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    Hey guys, getting ready/amped to detail my car properly for my fist time, but have a few questions (and I'm sure I'll have more later)

Firstly; Have been watching afew detailing videos, and have noticed people using a paint protection (in my case will be the duragloss paint protection pack) and then adding a layer of wax over the top of that. What are the advantages/disadvantages to adding wax ONTOP of paint protection?

Secondly; Might be obvious to most, but what is the difference between a hard wax and soft wax? are some suited to a certain paint type, or is it just the strength of coating it gives?

Third; Once you have washed the car and move into claying the body, is there a need to dry the car before you start claying, or just start claying while the car is wet? have heard alot of conflicting info on this..

Last; I am still on the fence about buying a bottle of Dodo juice Lime Prime, is it worth getting and applying before i put the paint protection on?
    there are only very very light swirls on a couple of panels so the micro-abrasives should be enough, instead of machine polishing. however is it TOO harsh for a 2year old car, as it does say not for new/soft paints.... but lime prime lite has NO abrasives what-so-ever so defeats majority of the point for me.

I don't want to buy a bottle if its no good and is a waste of money, but at the same time i don't want to spend all weekend detailing my car only to still find abit of contamination or whatever.

Think thats all I've got for now, but guarantee i will have more questions later ;)

cheers, Troy

18. brapdat

brapdat New Member

Members Ride:
    03' Vy Sv8

Firstly, do you understand what your doing with a claybar?
    a claybar should NEVER be used dry. hell, i have never washed a car before using a claybar, generally ill pressure spray the car, claybar the bonnet, front guards, roof and boot, forget the doors and what not, pressure spray it again, dry it with a chamois and then cut and polish it. this method is also used in various detailing workshops and cuts out the whole wash with soaps etc.

Secondly, there are certain colors of cars which do and dont require a claybar, but the conditions the car has been in also have a factor.
    a claybar isnt exactly cheap either! so dont drop it!

19. toey@carfx

Members Ride:
    2007 wm caprice
    no need to dry the car before claying, thats just a waste of time. keep in mind the clay lube will get watered down doing this so use the lube liberally. also all cars of all colours need claying, it just depends on if there is bonded contaminates on the paint surface. best bet is to put a plastic bag over your hand and rub it over the paint after you have washed it, if it feels gritty then you need to clay before any form of polishing takes place. if you dont do this the polishing process will dislodge some of this grit and rub it all over the paint surface, resulting in more marring/swirls. this will also help water sheet off the paint when you wash the car as the water wont be sticking to the contaminates

you dont have new paint, 2 weeks after a spray job is new. by the time you take delivery of a new car it is fine to do anything to the paint. so in saying that lime prime is fine to be used on your paint.

if the car is 2 years old i would seriously consider getting a das6 polisher and correcting that paint as i can almost garentee it has swirls (spidar web marks) in the paint.

using a wax over a sealant is due to the looks a wax gives on some colours. putting the sealant down first gives the long lasting protection but gives off a "wrapped in glossy plastic" look where as a wax gives a "deep wet" looking finish, this looks the best on black and red cars. most dark coloured cars benifit from wax which i feel will look great on your car.

the difference between soft and hard waxes (i assume you are talking about the dodo range) is the soft waxes is easier to use compaired to the hard waxes but they dont last as long on the paint.

20. Troyziee

Troyziee Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
    Yes, I know what I'm doing with a clay bar, I will be claying with a shitload of lube! My question about drying was more based around whether the water would dilute the lube too much, or even make the surface too 'dry' as water isn't a very slick liquid. But toey has answered that for me, cheers.

Toey, ill have a better read and response once I get home from work ;)