Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diesel For Commodore?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
I was reading the paper today and read that the astra will be availble in diesel, and the new commodore will most likely have a diesel engine option. Im just curious would any of you people buy one?

vy-346

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T 6A & VH-ZXA
Yep I'd consider it for sure. The new diesel's are excellent, they drove pretty much just like a petrol car.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Diesel Development

Hi, Diesels have been popular in europe for some years - owing to tax incentives.

As such, engine developments and refinements (particularly in Eurpoean cars) have been quite progressive over there. They sell a high number of diesels in the UK and Europe.

So it's no surprise the Astra offers diesel - the commodore is I think a more home grown engine (V8 excepted.)

Only issue would be the cost of diesel which I think matches if not often exceeds PULP prices.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i would have one for sure.... diesel is more expensive yes but when you think about it 6.5 litres per 100kms is pretty damn good for an average fuel consumption.....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If it happens it will be a turbo diesel and it should go just as good or better than the standard petrol V6 while using half the fuel and yep I'd have one, future tech is good :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
mmmmm. interesting i like turbo diesel but i didnt realise there was so much interest in them

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Makes sense to me, and it would give us something over the blue oval until they can counter attack (hey they still havn't done a mass production coupe to compete with the now dead Monaro - does this mean they won't?!)

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
A possible existing diesel to go into the Commodore is the 3.0litre Izuzu or the joint GM/Fiat.
As a general rule (I am talking about diesels used in cars and not commercial units fitted to trucks and heavy machinery), Diesels produce much more torque than an equivalent sized petrol. What tended to give diesels a reputation for being sluggish in the past is the choice of a diesel engine capacity that matched the size of the smallest petrol engine available for that model. Making a one size fits all diesel (due to higher production cost) that means that a normal sized family vehicle, was under powered. Many diesels were fitted with throttle butterflys and pnuematically governed to try and make them feel like petrol engines. They also tended to be indirect injection meaning they had a precombustion chamber in the cyl head (Ricardo system) which meant heat losses and glowplugs needed to start when cold. Modern diesels have electronic direct injection and control of the injection with unthrottled inlets. A diesel can run very lean and can have the fuel cutoff completely on the overun which is where they achieve there renowned econnomy and the high compression their high torque.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i reckon it would be bloody great.. my old man was talking to a abloke who has some european car with a turbo deisel.. he said eh can goto adelaide twice on a tank.. so adelaide and back is over 800k's. i reckon that is pretty damn good