Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between a full spoll and a mini spool if any??

w3bstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Berlina 3.8 & 1996 VS Berlina 3.8
Just wondering what the difference is between a full spool and a mini spool if any...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
If you get a full spool, you replace the whole carrier. A mini spool only involves replacing the spider gears inside the carrier with something that locks up the differential motion. Mini spools can, and will break. Full spools on the other hand, will take a lot of punishment :)

If you stick a mini spool in there and it blows while you're cutting loops, there's a good chance it'll take your gears, carrier, and even axles along with it :p

If you want to be cheap, weld up a stocko single pegger. If you do it properly, and lay about a kilo of weld in there, it'll be stronger than a mini :)

w3bstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Berlina 3.8 & 1996 VS Berlina 3.8
lol yeah just getting a full spool temporarily, holding on to it for a mate with limited garage space lol... Dunno how long i will have it or anything but yeah was just curious. Its also only for a 6 lol. The guy i am getting it off has a 308 fully worked vh, hasnt fkd up on him yet so i dont think im gonna do any harm to it.

Thanks

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
If you get a full spool, you replace the whole carrier. A mini spool only involves replacing the spider gears inside the carrier with something that locks up the differential motion. Mini spools can, and will break. Full spools on the other hand, will take a lot of punishment :)

If you stick a mini spool in there and it blows while you're cutting loops, there's a good chance it'll take your gears, carrier, and even axles along with it :p

If you want to be cheap, weld up a stocko single pegger. If you do it properly, and lay about a kilo of weld in there, it'll be stronger than a mini :)

i think you need to take the words minispool, and weld, and swap them around. i never hear of spools breaking, but always hearing about welds breaking and taking out the diff with it?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
i think you need to take the words minispool, and weld, and swap them around. i never hear of spools breaking, but always hearing about welds breaking and taking out the diff with it?

That's because nobody puts enough weld in there :p You need to ideally pour a bucket of molten metal into your carrier :D

minis probably aren't that bad for daily street use. I'm just assuming this bloke wants to cut 5000rpm loops around his local estate. I mean, you live in Hillside, right webstr? :p

*runs and ducks*

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi

+1, never known a spool to break.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
+1 for never heard of a spool breaking either.

as morton said already - a full spool is basically just a whole carrier, consisting of a solid tube that you insert axles into, and a ring for the ring gear to bolt onto. It replaces your whole diff centre.

a mini spool is simply a block of steel with axle splines and holes through it, and it replaces the whole inner parts of your current diff centre (i.e. it does away with all the spider and side gears)

welding is a cheap way out - but it's hard to get 100% right. you need to clean the whole thing out properly and then get HEAPS of heat into it (need a decent size welder!) in order to get any penetration. Then you have to be careful to not weld too much to stop the axles going in (or out lol), and so that everything still operates as it should! - i guess you'd also want to be careful about warping anything with the excessive heat.

advantages of a full spool over a mini include:

- much lighter
- less parts, and therefore less likely to break stuff :)
- it's a hollow tube - so if you break an axle at the splines, you can just smash it out with a broom stick or something from the other side. (whereas with a mini spool, you have a pin going through the middle that stops you from doing this)

and that's about it :)

here's a pic of a full spool and a mini spool

full:
m1-spool01.jpg

minispool installed inside the original diff center:
oriented%20and%20pin%20in.jpg

if you got the cash... go for a full spool.
if you don't have the cash for that, go for a mini spool.

if you're adventerous or don't have the cash for either of the above - crack out the welder and beer :)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Better pics of full and mini

full-spool.jpg
minispool.jpg

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Does anyone sell stronger aftermarket center pins for minispools? I somehow see them as being a bit of a weak point in the whole operation.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
whats the average price for a full spool and mini spool installed,
are they ok for day to day driving or more suited to the drag strips?