Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between a full spoll and a mini spool if any??

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
day to day should be fine, so long as you don't live at the end of a tight series of wet high-speed S-Bends :p

Oh, and don't park anywhere near the fuzz :) They'll be all over you like a rash.

But I know quite a few people who run spools in dailys and have no issues.

I know a mini spool is worth around $50-$80 by itself. I can only imagine it would cost around $250 to have it installed.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Does anyone sell stronger aftermarket center pins for minispools? I somehow see them as being a bit of a weak point in the whole operation.

I dunno man - there's 4 pins and they sit in a solid chunk of steel, not too much to go wrong. I think you'd break axles and crownwheel/pinion teeth before you break the pins (not the case in a single spinner though - cause there's crazy heat generated etc which affects the performance of the pins in a big way!)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
whats the average price for a full spool and mini spool installed,
are they ok for day to day driving or more suited to the drag strips?

as morton said, 250 for a mini?
and 500-600 for a full?

you CAN drive them day to day, if you want - but you'll know it's there, and it's well and truly illegal.

fact is that they're best suited to burnouts, drifting and drags - where 50/50 power distribution is key.

i guess my theories are:

1) if you have to ask, you won't like it.
2) if you haven't tried an LSD yet - best to try that first
3) if you have tried an LSD and are dissapointed with it singling right away - spools are for you.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I reverse parallel parked the VQ today on a bit of a hill with the manual steering and the manual box. It wasn't too bad at all! Makes me think I could manage with a spool on top of that :p

If my current LSD wasn't tight, and if I didn't have another near-new LSD sitting in the garage, I'd almost consider a minispool ^_^

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
hey can i just ask are these spools just the same as say Detroit Spinners? the things that make both rear wheels spin?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Rainbows. Rainbows and pixies :)

The simplest way to explain it, is that a Detroit Locker works like a ratchet. It will let your wheels turn faster than the applied drive, but not slower. It uses clutches with teeth, and a cam thing in the middle. When you coast around a corner, the teeth with a super special negative angle on them, are allowed to slide up the cam like a ramp, and disengage :) This unlocks the thing. Stuff. And magic happens.

So, if you are driving around a corner with your foot off the gas or very light throttle, the inside tire will be locked to the ring gear and pulled along by the engine, while the outside tire will be free to unlock and travel faster. As fast as it needs to.

But if you then mash it, and apply more force to the point where the rotation of the outside tyre does not exceed the applied force, you are then locked in on the ratchet on both wheels, and it's locked, giving you a twin spinner :)

tl;dr version:

On throttle: locked up
Off throttle or not much: unlocked

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
thank you very much that makes perfect sense now. (im not being sarcastic im glad someone put it in tose terms not dumbing it down because im "too young and inexperienced to understand") thanks again mate

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
No worries mate :) It took me ages to grasp the concept of a detroit locker at first. They're a tricky little diff. But people who use them say they'd never drive anything else again :)

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
Oh, and don't park anywhere near the fuzz :) They'll be all over you like a rash.
hahaha that happened to me, i parked my car a the servo to go get a drink (parking spot not infront of the pumps) and was a tight turn... I come out to see there is like 5 vicpol vehicles, 3-4-5 point turn and got the hell out of there haha

mini spools are more then enough, and you wont break one no matter how many rpm your doing :) only time you would break one is if your car was an insane powerhouse.

so cheapass (like me) = mini spool
powerful car and runs 8's = full spool :D