Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DIY: ECU Scantools/Data Cables

Chris76

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Can anyone provide a copy of the standard bin files/maps for the VS ECOTEC amnual as Im conveting to manual form auto. Please PM me if you can help

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
OZ38 said:
This sounds like good news, but can you tell us what It means for us now ?

Cheers

Deek

You can see what efilive can do before you make/buy a cable, dowload efilive (the version on the server comes with the VX/VY V6 files) and after it is set you go to file->select vechicle and load the file. Some VX's may have a problem with the supplied file (see attached for a corrected file).

Mike

Attachments

• gmh-vx6_FIXED.zip
    6 KB · Views: 813

Mike:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II
Here it is....

Ok I have done the work for you :) Here is all the info you need to make your very own ALDL link. I have done it, and it works on my VX II commodore.

Attatched are the schematic, part layout, and PDF for making a PCB for your link.

There are three options for powering this circuit

Option 1 on the car side use Ground Data and 12v // on the PC side use pins 2, 3, and 5

Option 2 ointhe car side use ground and Data/// use a 9V battery on the power in pins /// use pins 2,3,and 5 on the PC side.

Here is a link to download an ALDL tester to test youe citcuit BEFORE you hook it up to your car!!!
http://www.ttspowersystems.com/software/dm350/ALDL_TEST/setup-ALDL.exe

Here is a link to the circuit that I used.. It seems to be the best.
http://students.fct.unl.pt/users/lat12089/dsm_link_cable.htm

Note you have to conect pins 1,4,6 and 7,8 at the serial port plug.

Here is a link to the serial plug pinout:
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/dsl_prod/6700/iad1101/cable.htm
You have a DB 9 on the back of you PC.

I used EFIlive 4:
http://68.178.219.18/software/EFILiveV465_305_Eval.exe

Have fun

Mike

View attachment aldlfinal3.zip

View attachment aldlfinal3_brd.pdf

aldl_interface.gif

aldl.gif

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Mike:) said:
Option 1 on the car side use Ground Data and 12v // on the PC side use pins 2, 3, and 5

Option 2 ointhe car side use ground and Data/// use a 9V battery on the power in pins /// use pins 2,3,and 5 on the PC side.

If you join the DTR and RTS lines together to power your circuit you run the risk of cooking your serial port. Route the power through a diode for each line. (see circuit on first post).

If you want to power it off the car (no real need unless you have a cheap laptop, cheap usb/serial converter or want to use a pda) you can source 12V from pin 16 on the obd plug. No need for a 9V batery, the battery/cig lighter power option is needed on US cars that have a different OBD I plug.

Mike

Mike:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II
Hi there,

Yes there are diodes to protect DTR and RTS. I am using the same basic circuit as you. :)

Just have a few power options. - it works from a pda which is cool!

There is a PDF to make a pcb from. Thought it might help a few people.

Mike

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Added some info about the airbag flashing when you use an adaptor on the VX (and the VY I guess)

Mike

JcB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Hello Mike, i'm still debating on buying an ALDL cable for my VS from you. I'm looking at the above diagram, it's different from the www.techedge.com.au one. Could you tell me what models this would work for. Many thanks.

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
easy interface 5volt ttl

just been reading what the honda boys have been doing with a nokia cellphone data cable (come as serial or usb) using it for logging seems to have a max 232 chip in it.looks like the same circuit as some of the max 232 interfaces costs about 25 bucks just cut off the cellphone plug on the end bare the wires and viola .maybe i might of been missing something but have a look schematics for the cable on the net nokia dku 5 or nokia dku 2 or check out www.pgmfi.org let us know what u find out sure beats making one:thumbsup:

heres the schematics they are a bit different but with some modifications might work

Attachments

• usb-rs232.gif
    usb-rs232.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 2,605
  • cable_cell.gif
    cable_cell.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,196
Last edited:

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
Hello Mike, i'm still debating on buying an ALDL cable for my VS from you. I'm looking at the above diagram, it's different from the www.techedge.com.au one. Could you tell me what models this would work for. Many thanks.

It will work for VR/VS/VTS1 V6 and V8, and then VT SII/VX/VY V6's only. (and whatever the matching stateman's and utes are)

The techedge circuit does not seem to work the VS V8 onwards, I haven't put too much effort in working out where the circuit won't work as the two transistor method seems to work with everything. I use the above circut with obvious modifications for the usb one I sell and have not had any compatibility problems. I originally sold a version based on the tech edge circuit and had troubles.

But if you are handy with an iron my circuit shouldn't pose any problems.

Mike

JcB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Great! Thanks.

I'm a learner with the soldering iron, but i like the idea of many models in one circuit. I have not got wiring diagrams from VT or later Holdens, are they the same ALDL connector as the VR/VS? - Thanks for the reply.