Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wilso

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VN Executive Wagon
Few questions..
  • Does I have to be hand sand papered, can I get a handheld machine to do it?
  • Whats the average cost to do this in the same color as you did (its going to be applied to a VT commodore) im guessing similar $200 mark.
  • Will I need to garage it when im away... like at work.
  • Must the car panels come off? (of course ill strip the body kit but the panels itself...)
  • Will Vicroads charge me any fees changing the colour of my car, or is it a matter of just letting them know the change in color?
  • anything important I should know?
  • Will i need a different primer or anything to paint the fiberglass (body kit?)
I'm in Melbourne, I sometimes go to IBM in Ballerat but its rare so I don't think there's any possibility in ever seeing your car for real! If I take up alot of your time asking questions.. I'll be happy to pay you some money for helping me complete it as this is more a project than to save money or anything like that.. the result I saw looks better than the result my friend got from a pro job done so =/

Hey mate, I'll answer these questions for you. I used to work in IBM Ballarat but now I work up at the Uni so you'd be pretty close by... PM me and I might be able to organise something....

Does I have to be hand sand papered, can I get a handheld machine to do it?
Hand or machine sanding (doesn't matter, up to you, I used my hands, the prep work is all the same as spraying a car...)

Whats the average cost to do this in the same color as you did (its going to be applied to a VT commodore) im guessing similar $200 mark.
The paint is around $43 a litre, I used 3.2 litres to do my whole wagon, it all depends how well you want it to turn out as sandpaper is pretty expensive too.

Will I need to garage it when im away... like at work.
I would suggest not to drive the car at all while you are in the process of painting it. One bird crap on the new paint and it WILL eat straight through it.

Must the car panels come off? (of course ill strip the body kit but the panels itself...)
The more panels you can take off the better it will be as you'll be able to get paint in more of the hard to reach spots.

Will Vicroads charge me any fees changing the colour of my car, or is it a matter of just letting them know the change in color?
No fees, Just call Vicroads and advise you have changed the colour.

anything important I should know?
Once you start you can't turn back...

Will i need a different primer or anything to paint the fiberglass (body kit?)
You don't have to use primer at all. But if I was to do it again I would have used primer on all panels before the topcoat as it would have filled in any small scratches etc, but my car's body wasn't too bad to begin with.

djeyecon

black is back.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Ute 3.8 S V6
thats ****ing amazing mate.
any idea if it will fade over time?

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
You have talked me into it!!!!

G'day Wilso :)

You have talked me into it!!!!....Just one questing though. I have the same SV grill as yourself and I'm curious how you got the roller into the gaps of the grill? I just need to know so I can apply the same method as you did.

I have three months off, so I have heaps of time off to do the prep work. I will post some pics when I have finished.

Well done and great job Wilso!!! :clapping::thumbsup:

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
G'day Wilso :)

You have talked me into it!!!!....Just one questing though. I have the same SV grill as yourself and I'm curious how you got the roller into the gaps of the grill? I just need to know so I can apply the same method as you did.

I have three months off, so I have heaps of time off to do the prep work. I will post some pics when I have finished.

Well done and great job Wilso!!! :clapping::thumbsup:

Has also inspired me to do it, but only problem with me is all those small areas that you have to undo everything for (especially the engine bay)

Wilso said:
Joey_19 said:
done a nice job but how did u go about getting into the tricky spots ? with a normal paint brush? but it came out awsome mate must have takin a lot of labour hours by urself though
I used those small 1" or 2" wide foam brushes that you find in craft shops. It sure did feel like forever, I got to the 2 month mark and I was over it so you really have to be focused on finishing it before you start

Last edited: