Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Ive decided im going to give this a go in the next month ill be starting. Im spewing i cant find a color chart of the few paints they do have. Although ill be happy with black but a dark red would be awesome.. Hows it lasting over the few months mate?

oblivion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais & VP Executive.
if only i had the time! :cry:

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
just one question mate, what kind of primer would you recommend using under the paint?

i have an air compressor that i can borrow if necessary but only for short periods of time so a full spray job is out of the question, but this looks great!!

i'll be giving Whitworths a call tomorrow and organise some paint - about 4 litres from the sounds of it??

appreciate any help you can give mate,
cheers

edit - i can also get hold of about 4 litres of acrylic paint and primer tomorrow arvo if thats any good for the job

Last edited:

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
that should be "thinners" and primer

KnobMuffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 2L
Hey man,

I have been trying to do a paint job on my car trying to get the same results as you. I have used black enamel paint with a roller, I used turps to thin it then rolled it on however I ended up with a rough finish and lots of air bubbles. I then sanded it back and brought a 80w electric spray gun. I sprayed it using the gun but I can get the same finish as you. I am closer to that real nice finish but there are still runs and air bubbles. I have used enamel thinner (1 part thinner to 3 parts enamel) for the spray job.

Now, I think the paint I am using is just plain enamel. Is there a difference between polyurethane and normal enamel??

Does anyone know if you want your spray gun to spray a mist onto the surface or do you want a layer sprayed on?? (I dont know if that will make sense)

Cheers guys

blindworld1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
in the time it took you do that, i could have got enuff money to get it sprayed professional and i work at meccas :D

good effort though man
give u credit where its due!

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
nice work.
i seriously looked into this last year for an old Celica i had bought, but then i remembered im lazy so i didnt bother starting it.

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
WOW!
That looks amazing!!!
Ive been looking for a way to touch up my VL but now i think i'll just paint the whole thing.
Money has been the issue stopping me from touching it up so this is great!

Vg-ute-mad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 97 Series II
in the time it took you do that, i could have got enuff money to get it sprayed professional and i work at meccas :D

good effort though man
give u credit where its due!

In the time it took Wilso to repaint his car, you could maybe of raised the money for a pro job. But...Wilso has saved himself a great amount of money and has painted his car for under $500. Plus he can say, "I did it myself!"

I started my paint job in Oct last year and I finished the paint job late last month. And even in the 4 months to do the job, there is no way I could have raised the money for a pro job, because I don't have that sort of desposible income! But I can also say, "I did it myself!" :thumbsup:

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
Wilso would a clear coat have given any extra protection and if so which type of clear coat.