Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Last night I did an oil change as I do every 5,000k's. Nothing out of the ordinary. Drain sump, change filter and refill. Then I started the car and hear a sudden gush of something. I see oil all over the garage floor. I soon realised that the older rubber gasket from the old oil filter was still on the car and the new filter didn't seal properly. :bang: IDIOT! I spent the next hour trying to clean up nearly 5 litres of brand new synthetic off the garage floor. That oil had some serious pressure. It sprayed five metres out from under the car. So I'm wondering has anyone else done something really stupid when working on their own or someone elses car?

Billo55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Mmm, touched the extractors for to long by accident =)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
hahaha, that's a darn good effort ^^ I've never had that happen to me before, scooter :D

After draining my oil, and refitting the sump plug + new filter, I empty my old oil into an empty oil bottle that I'll have lying around. I've then proceeded to pick up my bottle of old sump oil and begin pouring it down the filler cap again! Took me nearly two litres to realise what I was doing! :p Had to drain it all out and try again with the (still) unopened bottle of fresh oil :p

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
ive done the same as you scooter79, the first time i ever serviced my car, it didnt "spray" luckily and i still had the oil tray underneath it, but the engine wasnt happy having pretty much all the oil drained outta it.....

I remember one really stupid thing I did, i was servicing my WB (for the first time), and I was changing a spark plug, it was abit stuck so I pushed fairly hard it decided to become unstuck rather quickly launching my hand towards a nice bit of metal mounted to the headers, it sliced my thumb down the middle and blood was pouring out.... even split the nail... nothing a few bandaids and sum surgical tape couldnt fix :D

Lesson learned: dont force anything too much, if its stuck get sumone else to do it :D

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
put a stereo in a mates ed. when finished he trried to start it and couldnt. so i checked for spark had none. so i checked the fuses all seemed to be good so i thought it was the dizzy module so we wet and got another one. still no spark. so got test light out. no power to module so went back to fuse box and tested every fuse. found one blown marked something stupid like security or something blown. changed it and it then kicked over.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I think I'm still in front simply based on the mess I caused. But makes me feel better to know that others do dumb things too.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
These should make you feel even better then.

I've done the old oil filter gasket left behind trick too. So did a mate, just before a schoolies road trip, but he assed it and it didn't fail until we were on the freeway into the trip. Stopped and got an NRMA tow back to the nearest place of civilisation but too late (at night) for it to be fixed and too late to find any accommodation (and no spare money anyway) so we (4 of us) spent the night on a railway station. It actually turned out to be a bit of an adventure and we still talk about it, so all good.

I've also left the sump plug out before starting to pour the fresh oil in. Fortunately the drain tray was still underneath and I realised before wasting the whole lot.

One I had a peripheral role in (and it's a bit of a saga): a mate decided to add a spacer plate beneath his carb. before we went cruising one night; remove the carb., carefully place a rag in the manifold to prevent anything falling in and go look for longer bolts or studs to suit the spacer. Have a bit of a chat as the carb. goes back on and then start the car. There's a Crack!, and the engine stalls. Oh ****! Yep, left the rag in the manifold. OK, carb. back off to dig the rag out. No go, it's sucked into the cylinder head, so the manifold (V8) and head needs to come off. No problem except that we need the gaskets.

My mate has spares but they are located at his cousin's place. Jump into my ****box and head off. Part way there the head gasket lets go and the car stops. We get out to have a look and I see another car go past and stop up the road a bit. Turns out to be my mate's sister so we get a lift to pick up the gaskets.

Get back to mate's car, manifold off, head off and find the rag sucked into the inlet valve and out the exhaust; no way that was coming out without disassembly. Blue the valve seats to check if a valve is bent and back together again. Then we had to collect the dead car with the blown head gasket, which we got started again after it had sat for a while. And we still went cruising.

Another one which I was reminded of recently was another mate and I were running Top End Cleaner through an engine. For those who haven't done this, it involves drawing the cleaning fluid into the engine using a vacuum source from the engine, with one person raising the engine revs, the other controlling the rate at which the fluid is drawn in by moving the vacuum hose in and out of the fluid. A misunderstanding between my mate and I resulted in sufficient fluid being drawn in to cause the motor to hydraulic lock and bend a rod.

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
The very first night I drive the VP GTS I stuck my hand into the metal engine fan, luckily I kept most of my fingers, I had 2 larghish gashes and it hurt. So beware any new 5.0L owners, the fan sticks out past the shroud on the 5.0L unlike the ****y small plastic V6 one which I was used to.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ive had a 10 inch long flatblade screwdriver go thru my palm while trying to sit a brake shoe back on the slave cylinder with all the springs still atattched to the shoes... fair to say that made a mess when i took the screwdriver out!!:p i dont like drum brakes anymore:bang:

metalfossil

Reaction score
Few years ago, after me and my girlfriend had busted up, my HQ Monaro was stuck at the place where we lived with a busted gearbox. My best mate was under the car with me undoing the last of the bolts; bit of a rush job. I was holding the box. I spied my ex coming up the driveway. Without thinking I just let go of the box and slid out from under the car, Yep, you guessed it, the box dropped onto my mates hand. he wasn't a happy chappy