Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

LthlThrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VU II SS
i have a couple stories for you, first of all, i was changing my wiper blades right (cause im to cheap to buy new wipers lol) and anyway as i was feeding the blade through, my finger slipped and went strait into the wiper diggin about half an inch under my finger nail.

also my mate bought a new belt for his engine, and we fitted it up and everything, and we were testing it out making sure that it wouldne slip of or anything, anyway it was a real hot day so we only had board shorts on and no shirts or anything, so he revs the shite out of it for no reason and i am standing at the front of the engine bay leaned over the engine and what happens next, the belt snaps and gets me accross the chest... never changed a belt without a shirt again lol

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
I did something silly and trusted a cheap torque wrench.

Trying to properly torque caliper guide pin bolts with a Kincrome torque wrench. Worked last time, evidently this time it didn't. Torquing properly with a smaller wrench worked fine; the click mechanism broke. So did the bolt. WAY TO GO $80 TORQUE WRENCHES!

could have been a faulty bolt.... i've never dropped my torque wrench and i put it away in my cubord after every use. if you dont, they're easy to break...

ive never had any issues with my $80 torque wrench :p

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
we were lifting up the arse of a mates esky rally car to stick the chassis stands under it, and for some unknown reason (at the time) the other 2 guys decided to let go, leaving me hanging on to the bloody thingby myself ! Silly me didn't realise the stands were already in place!

Couldn't lift my arms all night after that

if they didnt tell you then thats ****ed, i wouldn't work with people like that :p

funny story, one time i wondered why my cluster wouldnt work after doing a interior swap, tested all the pins with a multimeter etc, banged my head against the wall many times. checked all the connectors etc .... except the one on the otherside of the dash hanging RIGHT OUT in plain view

3 days later i might add!

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
i have a couple stories for you, first of all, i was changing my wiper blades right (cause im to cheap to buy new wipers lol) and anyway as i was feeding the blade through, my finger slipped and went strait into the wiper diggin about half an inch under my finger nail.

also my mate bought a new belt for his engine, and we fitted it up and everything, and we were testing it out making sure that it wouldne slip of or anything, anyway it was a real hot day so we only had board shorts on and no shirts or anything, so he revs the shite out of it for no reason and i am standing at the front of the engine bay leaned over the engine and what happens next, the belt snaps and gets me accross the chest... never changed a belt without a shirt again lol

I dont think a shirt would help, Unless you wear some heavily padded shirts. :rofl2:
Matt

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
could have been a faulty bolt.... i've never dropped my torque wrench and i put it away in my cubord after every use. if you dont, they're easy to break...

Multiple bolts broke with it, old and new. The wrench was just **** out of the box. It got through maybe 15 bolts before failing, never used it to loosen anything, took care of it for the short time I had it.

ruffiano

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Spent half an hour trying to remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper on my front brakes. Couldn't undo the bolts. Blamed the locktite. Was tightening them, not loosening them......

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
That's what happenes when you tighten a belt too much, you're not meant to play guitar with it :p.
Spent half an hour trying to remove the 2 bolts holding the caliper on my front brakes. Couldn't undo the bolts. Blamed the locktite. Was tightening them, not loosening them......
ROFL!

Back in my 1st year apprentice days I was taking an alternator out of a stupid Saab (900 I think), the one with the backwards engine in it where all the belts face the firewall, and you had to take out the oil filter to get the alternator out. So I've finished repairing it, placed the alternator back onto the car, fired it up only to see oil go everywhere.... speant 2 hrs cleaning the floor, car, cars next to it, the walls, boss's toolbox, was a mad experience.

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
Multiple bolts broke with it, old and new. The wrench was just **** out of the box. It got through maybe 15 bolts before failing, never used it to loosen anything, took care of it for the short time I had it.

Had the same problem when i bought mine (SP Tools brand $175) cept they were flywheel bolts...
what a f^%karound :gun2:

Ryan.mate

ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss sandman 5.7
My mate was reversing his brothers car to get something from in front of it when he realises there is something behind it, so being cool in front of his girlfriend he leaves the car in gear door open and quickly moves the object. Soon enough does he realise the car is still moving so he quickly jumps in the jump on the brake, when he hits the accelerator flat to the flat, door still open so the car hits the patio supports, completely tearing the whole door off. funniest thing i ever seen, brother was so pissed. :)

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

Heck, I've been using my $40 supercheap special for three years now and it's still as accurate as ever :) Brought home a $250 pin-type torque bar from work to compare notes - my supercheapy is still spot on :)