Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85 with colder plugs for Knock Retard? and its 105 octane level

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Hi guys wondering with the talk of e85 and its purity and 105 octane level would colder plugs help the ignition timing and ecu to create better power and economy and price? I have my l67 obviously and am doing an interstate run in about 3 weeks once my final repairs are done, and wondered if a mix of 98ron and e85 would be of benefit or even a mix of 95 and e85 with the 105 octane and work out a ration of half and half which equals 100 octane? Ive read up on both fuels and understand there is a concern about fuel lines and rubber, same as adding acetone this helps but will destroy fuel lines and rubber too, im guessing thats why fuel companies don't add it.

Could I do damage?

Anyone experienced knock and other symptoms?

Any one tried colder plugs?

Has any one tried any mix?

Has any on started just using e85 and what mods did they have to do?

Be interested thats all, maybe a strange question but if any one can give some sort of answer it will be you guys, cheers

All comments welcome!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You can't just whack e85 in an ecotec (supercharged or not).

Basically you'll be running it lean and will kill your engine.
You'd need bigger injectors and a retune for it to work.
Petrol stoichiometric ratio is 14.7:1 (14.7 parts of air to 1 part fuel)
e85 is around 9.5:1 (9.5 parts of air to 1 part fuel)
Somewhere around 1.5 times more fuel for it to run correctly, e10 is about as safe as you'll get, don't go splash mixing your own ratio's or you're car will stop running.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
with bigger injectors a bigger fuel pump and a tune would i get a lot better performance, and would it do damge then or be good for it?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Has any on started just using e85 and what mods did they have to do?

Fuel pump, injectors, some fuel lines, and most importantly... tune.

If you want to go for a flex fuel setup you need an aftermarket ECU unless you can magically adapt one of the later VE flex fuel setups/ECUs somehow.

Not to mention the method of filling the tank is too imprecise to determine an octane level unless the thing is bone dry.

Also, e85 is not an economy fuel. You will use more e85 than petrol for the same distance.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
with bigger injectors a bigger fuel pump and a tune would i get a lot better performance, and would it do damge then or be good for it?

Yes you'd get better performance, but you can only run e85 once modified... if you end up on a long drive and in a town that only has unleaded you are stuffed.

Theoretically you could make a custom memcal with a bigger (e)eprom and set up bank switching and have a switch somewhere to change tunes but then you'd need to find someone willing to tune the massive injectors to fuel normal unleaded/pulp.

Probably have to go wideband o2 as well, don't think a narrow band would be accurate in the range ethanol needs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You'll probably get the best economy sticking with 98 and driving sedately. They're pretty good on long highway trips economy wise.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Thanks for the answers, it has made me clear on not messing with e85 on my car at least. I like the reasons why and what you need to do to to use it, I found that really interesting hey! Sounds like id need an engineer and a lot of money for minimal gains. So question answered. I was hoping maybe the ecu would self tune like it seems to do from the 95 to the 98 octane and different air temps and fuel flowing in ect but can see its a lot more complex then that now. I think for now ill stick to the proven mods which everyone agrees work, perform and are safe. Thanks fellas!!

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Stock ecu is great with E85 and it's not that hard to implement flex fuel etc. Requires extra maintenance of injectors and fuel filter

Unless you have more power adding mods may not be worth it for you

Keep in mind people have been making power fine on regular pump fuel for ages so it's not a wonder fuel

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
You wouldn't need an engineer.
If you wanted to play around all you'd need is someone that can retune the delco ecu, have a chat to the1 or delcowizzard, i'd guess they've been involved in a project like this.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Stock ecu is great with E85 and it's not that hard to implement flex fuel etc.

How do you go flex fuel with the Ecotec ECU though? I know it's essentially an addon with the later LS and Alloytec based ECUs.