Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
ny reason?

its completely gutless unless you rev the tits off it and the fly by wire throttle is ****ing stupid in the manual. Its too slow to react and it makes it 10 times worse when the air con is on. and the stock clutch is as strong as a piece of toilet paper

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
Ecotec. because i prefer the 3.8s and theres nothing wrong with a pushrod motor unlike most people think. why need four cams when one can still make the car fast
plus the chick who sold my mate his vr said that she prefered the torque of the 3.8 rather than the new 3.6

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
Shampoo is better

VT SERIES II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
the fact that all the ecotecs are older than all alloytecs should come into play???

If I bought a newer version of anything I would expect better performance simply because its newer....

The real test would be to have a new eco and new alloy against each other....just a thought.

I have an ecotec and my work car was vz alloy....
I found the alloytec a bit stiffer in everyway possible. Wasnt really all that different in power either....not for me....

I like my eco.... ;)

BRG_38L

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 vp 3.8L M5 LSD
what about the buick 3.8L ???????

WHY didnt you put a choice for the vn-vr owners out there
when you say 3.8L you are talkin bout the motor that holden recalled when first developed because ma and pa smith were droppin sets off the lights at half throttle so the added a bellmouth s2 and a legend was born

as i have sed for years the ecotech is crap and as far as the alloytec
goes

!!!THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!:driving:

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
WHY didnt you put a choice for the vn-vr owners out there
when you say 3.8L you are talkin bout the motor that holden recalled when first developed because ma and pa smith were droppin sets off the lights at half throttle so the added a bellmouth s2 and a legend was born

as i have sed for years the ecotech is crap and as far as the alloytec
goes

!!!THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT!!!:driving:

Legendary... I second that ive seen the buicks still pull massive skids with over 300k on the clock and mine manuals got over 200k and still pulls a 15.3 on the 1/4 mile with an exhaust, pod and ecu tune.
that made me crack up when i heard about why they put the bellmouth restrictor in. because of people complaining of excessive wheelspin :thumbsup:

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Yours is still a baby, thrasher! VN, 500,000++++km, rebuilt auto at about 500,000km, don't know what 1/4 mile time it'll do though, too embarrased to take a V6 to the drags.

For the record, the bellmouth is not the end of the world. I put one into my s1.

Sam

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They alloytech is clearly a better motor, The only problem with it is that it's in a car about 1 ton too heavy for the motor so it makes them no faster than a VN P R S T X Y :p they are all about the same once in the car they came out in. A good VN V6 against a good VS V6 against a good VE V6, you wouldn't be able to split them over a 1/4 mile. But the VN would be in front at 100 :)

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
i wouldnt go back to a sloppy boat anchor lol, alloytec is a much nicer and less costly engine, alloytecs protect your driveways better too if you know what i mean