Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to VN/VP

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
With VS models now being so cheap, is this conversion really worth the trouble and cost? Remember too that the VR/VS body was stronger, the front suspension was greatly improved over the VN/VP, you had the possibility of airbags being fitted....hardly seems worthwhile spending the time and effort on the VN or VP.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The body is the same, it's no stronger, the front end suspension is 95% the same, only the posh models have airbags..... VP's looks better to most people. I dunno I can't see the point in wasting a perfectly good car just because you wore the engine out and there's a better/newer engine laying at the wreckers for cheap. I like to see car's ran untill they run out of life, every car deserves _at least_ two engines before it gets chucked out that's the effcient way to go :). You can go through an engine a year for cheaper than a newer Commodore and really in the end they all drive much the same until the VE

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
im really considering doing this conversion, and a big thank you for the write up mate :) Just wondering would i be better off using the VP gearbox? does it mate up or is there too much rooting around involved? and one last thing, i can use the VP engine mounts or get the newer ecotec ones instead?

Any help would be much aprpeciated.

cheers, tonza

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
vp gearbox should mount up same as vn series 2 i think.

get the vs ecotec mounts, pretty sure the vp ones are different.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
get the vs ecotec mounts, pretty sure the vp ones are different.

i have changed the mounts on both my VS and VN and both used the same mounts

tonza

Beers & Blastbeats
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX Exec S2
Ok cheers guys.

And_ROOS

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV +6
what is the point of puttin a newer v6 into a car. why i dont reli c the point

Cheap and quick, i like my car but im not wanting to spend the 15k to put a Gen3 in it. But if the engine dies i like the car enough to put an engine in from a V6. And the Ecotecs are decent, easily sourced engines.

LUMPY 8

buddaboy1990
Reaction score
SAs biggest retirement village (victor harbor)
Members Ride
Vu r8 maloo, mq patrol beach bus
i might b gettin a ecotec from a mates mate 4 free all i have 2 do is take it out my self. Would u guys say its worth putting it in2 my vp with all the stuffing around cause the motor in my vp has seen beta days (thanx 2 the vic police :)) and cause im gettin the motor auto box loom and everything that comes out wen u rip a 6 out 2 make way 4 an 8 4 free do u guys think its worth it or should i get my motor recond. Also if i put this motor in wat do i do about the power button? do i have 2 put 1 in or wat? cause in the vt its coming out of its got 1. 1 last question wats the go with the rego like does it have 2 be passed by a mechanic and all that sht btw im in SA if it helps:thumbsup: