Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec to VN/VP

kosmoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP exec
opposite conversion

ive got a vs ute which the ecotec died in.. a mate has given me a vn v6 which has been freshened up before he scrapped it to make room for a 5ltr.... would it be the opposite steps of what you have described or are there other issues at hand?????? i know some of you say y bother but when u get a decent motor for free y the heck not...

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 + 98 Jackaroo 3L TDi
attempting this conversion atm... giving me a headache though....

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey got a few issues, the gearbox from the vs has a totally different speedo sensor? can i just cut the wires off both looms and make an adaptor? if so does anyone know the colours to join? thanks

also being pretty new to this sort of project (and technical lingo) what are the TPS, IAC, Knock sensors and MAT sensor. just need to know which one is which. the vp loom seems to be alining up good on the ecotec as im pulling the eco loom off... but i just need to know what sensors need replacing. cheers.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I was told you can retainthe VN/VP ECU etc however it will only burst fire the injectors where the Ecotech has sequential injection. I understand from others that this gives improved economy, power and reduced emmissions so strictly speaking connecting the Ecotech up using the VN/VP electronics the engine would probably develop a bit less power.
If you use the ecotech system your going to have to get the ECU modified so it does not need a signal from the BCM to start and you will probably need use parts of the donor car's wiring loom and figure out how to connect it to the existing loom.

Using the VN/VP system is a whole lot less work,

Last edited:

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i am using the vp system, i just need to know about the gearbox. how to make an adapter for the sensor; or where to go to get one made up (in perth)

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks, damn. might have to try find a loom and ecu now. the whole reason im doing this is cos the vp gearbox kicked it in....

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Yeah only way if you want to keep the vs gearbox, only thing is the vs runs a BCM and security coded key, so it wont start unless the ecu receives the antitheft signal from the keyhead/BCM. you will need to get the antitheft (VATS) disabled on the memcal if you use the VS ecu. Good luck!

pipzryd

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks, i got another vp box. picked it up cheap for $100

engine is almost wired up with vp loom and sensors... just have to extend the loom a bit, and get the adapter for the sensors...
DSC_9759.jpg

old engine and box
DSC_9683.jpg

bruggz351

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Is this swap as easy to do in a S1 VN??

Or even possible??

cheers