Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

End of Holden?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
I've said this on other threads but the lack of a "hero" model for Holden, which the Commodore has been for so long, will mean they are unlikely to ever reach the sales targets they have achieved in the past. A previous GM of Holden (the one who was sacked after only a few months) claimed that Holden would be No. 1 again by 2020. Hmm, don't think so. When you are going to market "24 new models" over the next two years, which one will be your major seller?

The earlier statement about quality is wide of the mark. A substantial number of the new models will originate in Germany. Quality in the European market is far more stringent than it is here and for any model to be competitive in that market, it has to be well designed and well made. I don't think quality will be an issue. Even the Korean "Holdens" will be better designed and built as they are exported to numerous markets where engineering standards and production quality are critical. Nobody can design and build shoddy vehicles and expect to survive these days.

IMO, Holden won't ever by the dominant force it once was and will just be seen as a large scale importer of multiple models, just like Toyota, Mazda and a multitude of others makes. However, as a late-comer in so many market sectors, where market leadership is already consolidated, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to convince buyers to return to the Holden brand.

As a final comment, and a very long term lover of the Holden brand, I doubt that I will have much interest in the make once local production ceases. I suspect I won't be alone.

I am thinking along the same lines calaber i will be updating next year most probably a Holden but then that will be it unless they pull something grand out from somewhere i wont be buying another after that

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
I'm currently trying to pick the sweet spot as to which model Commodore to buy that will last longest, be easiest to DIY on and have most aftermarket support once the doors are shut. I know it'll be LS-powered but I don't know if straying into VE-VF will introduce too many possible electrical gremlins. Decisions decisions...

Once that one dies I'm hoping a simple, RWD, V8-powered family car will still be available on the market. My hopes aren't high though, since planned obsolescence has become so prevalent and manufacturers seem to be in an endless competition over who can have the longest spec list for their cars. I don't want bluetooth and wifi and all that bollocks in my car, I want power, simplicity, reliability, durability and a modicum of comfort.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I personally love the VY-VZ models a nice Clubbie R8 or a SS with leather :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'm currently trying to pick the sweet spot as to which model Commodore to buy that will last longest, be easiest to DIY on and have most aftermarket support once the doors are shut. I know it'll be LS-powered but I don't know if straying into VE-VF will introduce too many possible electrical gremlins. Decisions decisions...

Once that one dies I'm hoping a simple, RWD, V8-powered family car will still be available on the market. My hopes aren't high though, since planned obsolescence has become so prevalent and manufacturers seem to be in an endless competition over who can have the longest spec list for their cars. I don't want bluetooth and wifi and all that bollocks in my car, I want power, simplicity, reliability, durability and a modicum of comfort.

Most people these days seem to be sucked in by all the junk you don't want. That means the cars are loaded, even in more basic models.

I think the days of simplicity are long gone.

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
The issue that Holden is facing is that GM havn't moved across to global vehicles nearly as much as other players (especially Ford) have, which is why they are limited to RHD vehicles from Germany and Asia, as each region is responsible for making their own business cases for their vehicles, which Holden then have to choose from. These vehicles weren't designed to compete in a market like Australia hence the poor quality and range.

The GFC also hit GM hard, which limited the amount of resources that they had put into product development.

Within GM there is a directive that all future cars need to be designed and engineered for RHD, which makes business cases much easier to put together.

Holden will definitely struggle over the next few years as a lot of these vehicles are still under development, so they will have to make do with what they currently have access to.

In the future Holden will have a much larger portfolio of products to choose from, which make much better use of global sourcing, production and parts bins and will be able to offer higher-quality products to RHD markets like Australia.

Ford have been moving towards globalizing their portfolio for a long time under the 'One Ford' strategy and has been the main driver behind them closing down productionhere. GM is just playing catch up

This is spot on.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
In the non-Commodore GM lineup there is nothing really jumping out at me as class leading in quality or sales.

Toyota OTOH builds cars people want which is why they go from strength to strength. Same with Hyundai and Mazda. In last 15 years Kia has come such a long way its un believeable.

On a more personal level, 2 months ago I bought a new small car. I test drove various entry level models. Focus was good but too pricey and has reliability doubts. The Golf lacked the value-for-money. The Cruze......yep a holden. Refined ride and ok performance but the interior packaging, design, space, and the transmission were all rubbish. (Salesman was a lying douchebag as well). Corolla was good but ultimately they couldn't give me enough for my trade. Same with Hyundai i30. Ended up getting the mazda. In hotly contested small car sector I reckon i30, Corolla and Mazda3 would be the 3 cars most likely on the final shortlist, based on sales figures. Holden Cruze nowhere to be seen.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the Cruze pronounced Crude has had a history of transmission issues and electrical faults if this is what we have to look forward to Holden won't be around for the next Olympics let alone the long run

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yeah the Cruze pronounced Crude has had a history of transmission issues and electrical faults if this is what we have to look forward to Holden won't be around for the next Olympics let alone the long run

I know a couple of Cruze owners, they are both very happy with them.