Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Diagnosis

Redsting

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Alright so im not really even sure how to start this off.

I've got a VZ sv6 Alloytech 190kw h7a currently sitting in my driveway un driveable and i do not know whether or not it needs a new engine
i did an oil change and general service myself a few weeks prior to the car dying, changed the oil filter and put in 6.5l of suitable oil, about 2-3 weeks later i was on my way to work and the oil light comes on and the car starts running really rough and loosing power, running quite loud with ticking and slight hissing, i continued driving as i was in the middle of the highway and wasn't able to stop (couldnt afford to be late for work) and i understand this was a bad idea as i was just potentially doing more damage, when i got to my destination i checked the dipstick and noticed it was running low on oil, im not sure how this happened as its never had a leak and i was 100% positive i put in the correct amount of oil prior to this, it was missing roughly 2.5l of oil and after i filled it up again i started it and it idled rough for a few seconds and then started running smooth again and the oil light turned off, after driving for about 5-10 minutes the oil light came back on and the car started running rough again, i checked the oil again and it was still at the optimal level, i managed to get the car back home and didn't drive it for about a week, just starting it every now and then to stop it from seizing up, i went to start it a few weeks ago and it wouldn't start and has been sitting in the driveway ever since, i dont know a whole lot about cars and any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan.

bacevs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Crewman 2004
Alright so im not really even sure how to start this off.

I've got a VZ sv6 Alloytech 190kw h7a currently sitting in my driveway un driveable and i do not know whether or not it needs a new engine
i did an oil change and general service myself a few weeks prior to the car dying, changed the oil filter and put in 6.5l of suitable oil, about 2-3 weeks later i was on my way to work and the oil light comes on and the car starts running really rough and loosing power, running quite loud with ticking and slight hissing, i continued driving as i was in the middle of the highway and wasn't able to stop (couldnt afford to be late for work) and i understand this was a bad idea as i was just potentially doing more damage, when i got to my destination i checked the dipstick and noticed it was running low on oil, im not sure how this happened as its never had a leak and i was 100% positive i put in the correct amount of oil prior to this, it was missing roughly 2.5l of oil and after i filled it up again i started it and it idled rough for a few seconds and then started running smooth again and the oil light turned off, after driving for about 5-10 minutes the oil light came back on and the car started running rough again, i checked the oil again and it was still at the optimal level, i managed to get the car back home and didn't drive it for about a week, just starting it every now and then to stop it from seizing up, i went to start it a few weeks ago and it wouldn't start and has been sitting in the driveway ever since, i dont know a whole lot about cars and any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan.

Had a similar situation with my ford focus. Car was burning oil for several months, so i had to keep the oil level topped up every fortnight. Anyway, forgot to kept it topped up, oil level dropped really low, and engine started to make a really loud knocking/ticking sound. Sort of like bad lifters as can be heard in the video below.
[YOUTUBE]KxDNB4aimNk[/YOUTUBE]

I drove it for maybe 100 meters so I could safely pull over and walked to a servo to buy oil. Let it run for a minute or so to get the oil circulating but unfortunately it was too late, the damage was done.

You could maybe try a valve adjustment, but in my case it was a spun rod bearing.
Needed a bottom end engine rebuild but it was cheaper to just slap in a new engine.
I don't know about the Alloytechs, but the local mechanic was able to source an engine for the focus for about $600 ($450 if i got it myself from the wreckers) and another $600 for labour.

Redsting

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Had a similar situation with my ford focus. Car was burning oil for several months, so i had to keep the oil level topped up every fortnight. Anyway, forgot to kept it topped up, oil level dropped really low, and engine started to make a really loud knocking/ticking sound. Sort of like bad lifters as can be heard in the video below.
[YOUTUBE]KxDNB4aimNk[/YOUTUBE]

I drove it for maybe 100 meters so I could safely pull over and walked to a servo to buy oil. Let it run for a minute or so to get the oil circulating but unfortunately it was too late, the damage was done.

You could maybe try a valve adjustment, but in my case it was a spun rod bearing.
Needed a bottom end engine rebuild but it was cheaper to just slap in a new engine.
I don't know about the Alloytechs, but the local mechanic was able to source an engine for the focus for about $600 ($450 if i got it myself from the wreckers) and another $600 for labour.

Hey!
thanks for the reply, your situation sounds extremely similar and the noise your engine was making was almost identical so it sounds like im going to need a new engine, unfortunately i cant just slap in a v6 alloytech for a vz , it has to be a coded h7a from an sv6 as they're a high output engine which is going to cost me about 1500$, the labor i can do myself with my dad so thats not an issue.
i'll have a mechanic look over it to be sure.

Thanks again for the reply!

HGSmoors

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commmodore Ute
H7A alloytecs are about $1500 minimum